Top 50 Live Albums of All-Time

George Harrison - Live in Japan
Iron Maiden - Live After Death (Ok that was during my head banging days but I do still listen to it)
George Thoroghgood - Live (I can’t remember if that is the title or not) Kicks ass though! …and away we go

Rock of Ages better than The Last Waltz?! Hmmmm… :wink:

I would like add that Deep Purple’s Made in Japan should be on that list, and high up; like Top 20 high. What a killer album! A 30+ minute version Space Truckin’! Get out of town!

:slight_smile:

And where is Rush’s All the World’s a Stage?

THERE"S a question that’s probably worth a debate thread all on its own!

My reasoning: The Last Waltz was an Event, a Seminal Moment, and all that other crap with all its attendant emotional baggage.

Rock of Ages was just a concert, albeit a New Year’s Eve concert, and a concert by The Band at the peak of its power. And it’s JUST The Band, no crowded stage full of Guest Stars. It’s purer. That’s why I picked it.

(Also, the Allan Toussaint arrangements for the Tower of Power horn section kicked ass!)

Nine Below Zero - Live at the Marquee

Asskicking R’n’B at it’s finest. :slight_smile:

Others would be…

A ditto on Talking Heads, "Stop Making Sense"

And Rufus and Chaka khan "Live! Stompin’ at the Savoy"

Maybe these were truncated due to the fact they were 51 & 52?

Rock n Roll Animal: Lou Reed

Nighthawks at the Diner: Tom Waits

I would add A Live One and Hampton Comes Alive by Phish and Live Art by Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Live from Mars by Ben Harper is pretty good, too.

Not mentioned earlier is VAn Morrison - Too Late To Stop Now

Frank Zappa - Roxy and Elsewhere and You Can’t Do That On Stage Anymore, volume 2 - The Helsinki Concert

Though not all from 1 concert, “Songs in the Attic”, and from 1 concert, “Cokquept” (russian for “concert”).

I’ll mention Undead by Ten Years After. Clever wordplay name, cute intro making fun of American perceptions of the British accent.

I would make Frampton Comes Alive my favorite overall.

YOU ARE ALL WRONG!!!

Oh, sorry about that! I agree with many on the list, but No. 1 has got to be Mr. Harrison’s Concert for Bangla-Desh (expect the Ravi Shankar part!!)

More stars that the midnight sky, a real good “feel” and “groove”, a real good cause, first of it’s kind and a sucess!!

I second the SRV, Cheap Trick, Allman Bros., Band, Kiss and a bunch of others as well, but they all fall down the list from “Bangla-Desh”. (I have a mint copy on vinyl in the original box with booklet included in very good condition!!)

Lets go drink BEER!!

There are times when I can’t think of 48 better albums than Live at El Mocambo, nevermind 48 better live albums.

that said.

Johnny Thunders live at Max’s KC, Velvet Underground Live at Max’s KC, Graham Parker - Squeezing out Sparks Live (live version of Baby I want you Back, c’mon!) and the collection of songs following Tiffany’s wildly successful mall-tour from 1987 (the name eludes me, “You be my Chess King, I’ll be your Queen,” or perhaps “I’m About to Hold (food) Court”)

I just don’t remember

Interesting selections everybody. Thanks for sharing. :wink:

One last thing, if anybody has a bootleg copy of an English Beat concert (circa 1982 or so), any concert, please let me know. Ok thanks!

:slight_smile:

Considering all of the studio re-recording and overdubbing that was done, I have a really, really hard time considering this as even coming close to being a “live” album.

Bob Dylan - Before The Flood [Live With The Band, 1974]

Bob Dylan, of course, is the main focus here, and is excellent, especially in his very intense acoustic set. And the songs that the Band play alone easily surpass any of the enjoyable, but mostly uninspiring songs on Rock of Ages. This is easily in my top five greatest live albums.

Just finished listening to another famous live record that hasn’t been mentioned: Friday Night in San Fransisco by John McLaughlin, Al DiMeola and Paco De Lucia.

Well, with respect WSLer, that would be your problem.

It is an amalgam of concerts (so I understand) but then a vast majority of them are. One other I would nominate that springs to mind is Bob Seger’s “Live Bullet” which is pretty fucking awesome (and about as similar to TH as, um, something to something :slight_smile: ). Trick is, the development of presenting a live concert has changed and is changing. It isn’t simply about being there for the one-off event, it’s a completely new canvas to paint on.

What TH did (for me, at least) in that production, was present a whole imagery of music and visuals and lyrics that I can listen to, watch and enjoy time and again without being dishonest. That’s the aim isn’t it?

Cheers :slight_smile:

Well, with respect WSLer, that would be your problem.

It is an amalgam of concerts (so I understand) but then a vast majority of them are. One other I would nominate that springs to mind is Bob Seger’s “Live Bullet” which is pretty fucking awesome (and about as similar to TH as, um, something to something :slight_smile: ). Trick is, the development of presenting a live concert has changed and is changing. It isn’t simply about being there for the one-off event, it’s a completely new canvas to paint on.

What TH did (for me, at least) in that production, was present a whole imagery of music and visuals and lyrics that I can listen to, watch and enjoy time and again without being dishonest. That’s the aim isn’t it?

Cheers :slight_smile: