Top Ten List: Most fascinating Literary Characters

YossarianCatch-22 – The only sane person in a sea of insanity, so of course everyone else thinks that he’s crazy.

** Milo Minderbinder** – Catch-22 – An abusrd character. Shows what might happens to one who puts the profit motive above all else.

Major MajorCatch-22 – Another absurd character. He gets cut off from society completely because of bad luck and just muddles through life without anybody noticing.

HamletHamlet – Fascinating because he’s unable to act, a problem that plagues many people these days (including myself, to some extent.)

Lady MacbthMacbeth - The best manipulator in literary history.

Henry VHenry IV & Henry V – The ultimate rebellious teenager.

PanglossCandide – A perfect explanation of what’s wrong with incurable optimism. Everybody knows somebody who’s exactly like him.

Uncle Doc HinesA Light in August – Dear God, please save me from your followers.

MosesThe Bible – Humanity at its best, or not?

The ShrikeHyperion – Simply the coolest character ever.

[nitpick] Estraven was in Left Hand of Darkness, not The Dispossessed.
[/nitpick]

I also found him/her interesting. But I list The Dispossessed as one of the finest novels of the twentieth century.

All the rest of my fascinating characters are already on somebody else’s list.

Regards,
Shodan

Thus spake Eutychus:

You may be interested in Parker’s 1991 novel, Pastime, where some intriguing details about Spenser’s origins are revealed. If you just want me to spill, I’ll do so as best I can recall.

Oops, my bad. one more to add:

Venus in Nappily Ever After. I’m kinda hoping this book gets some fame and attention, although I doubt it. Most people think women are either being their silly, shallow selves or feminazis whenever they talk about the weight image is given in society. Whatever. It’s still a great book, and Venus is a great character.

WHEEEEE!!! I’m not alone! AYAYAYAY!!! I can go on about him AND NDDP for a loooong loooong time. :slight_smile:

The Librarian in the Discworld books.

Also the Luggage. (Funny how characters that don’t speak can be so well written.)

Boo Radley

Delirium from Sandman.

Falstaff

Merry and Pippin

Merlin

That’s all I can come up with right now.

Yeah, definitely Delirium, photopat. I’m dying to know how she came to change away from being Delight.

One more character…

Albert Knag - in Jostein Gardner’s Sophie’s World. You gotta love a man who plays god.

John Le Care’s George Smiley
Emily Bronte’s Heathcliff
John Mortimer’s Horace Rumpole
Michael Dobb’s Francis Urquhart
Murray Ball’s Cooch Windgrass

1- Peer Gynt from Peer Gynt, Ibsen
2- **Hamlet ** from Hamlet, Shakespeare
3- Don Quixote from Adventures of Don Quixote, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
4- Walt Whitman from Song of Myself, Walt Whitman
5- Sancho Panza from Adventures of Don Quixote, Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra
6- Satan from Paradise Lost, Milton
7- Roger Mexico from Gravity’s Rainbow, Thomas Pynchon
8- Dream from Sandman, Neil Gaiman
9- Wife of Bath from The Canterbury Tales, Geoffrey Chaucer
10 Hamm from Endgame, Samuel Beckett

Oh, Willie Loman too.

There’s been some characters named already that I find quite fascinating (e.g. Woland and MacBeth), but three that immediately came to mind that I haven’t seen mentioned are:

[ul]
[li]Kurtz (Joseph Conrad’s Heart of Darkness): Sort of a picture of 19th century Europe, complete with vast education, learning, and a desire to do good, but also with a deep core of violence and savagery[/li]
[li]James Gatsby (F. Scott Fiztgeralds’ The Great Gatsby): A man who so wants to remake his past that he ruins his future. A tragic and mysterious modern figure.[/li]
[li]Molly Bloom (James Joyce’s Ulysses): The modern Penelope.[/li][/ul]

Yeah, what you lot said.

Plus Homer Simpson. Is he lucky, or not as stupid as he makes out, or what?