Train Buffs: Click here and turn green!

Sorry it’s taken so long to get back to this thread.

Needless to say, the trip was fantastic, made all the more so since, as I mentioned in my last post, the film crew decided after the first day to make it four days instead of three, as originally planned. The trade-off for the extra day on the train was one less day in Calgary, so I didn’t have time to go to the Royal Tyrrell Museum. I was disappointed, but maybe next time.

The train included two restored 1950s passenger cars in which we “VIPs” were ensconced, but right ahead of this the film crew worked out of a box car with a long counter running about half its length. (You can get a glimpse of it here.) This car had two large cargo doors on each side, and many of us spent as much time as we could standing in them, feeling the wind through our hair, and getting unrestricted views of the amazing scenery going by. The weather was great virtually the whole time. Cool, with mostly clear skies.

The route we took is not usually traveled by passenger trains anymore, only freight trains. A train buff friend of mine who was along on the trip said that railfans call this “rare mileage.” Indeed.

The only downside was that I didn’t get to ride in the cab of the Empress during the actual trip, only in the yard before we started, as I mentioned above. But that was good enough. During the trip, the director and camera assistant were up there a lot of the time, remotely operating the IMAX camera when it was mounted on the engine.

Some of the other guests got to ride in the cab of the 1950s diesel engine that was part of the train (it lightens the load on the steam engine), but they reported it was fairly boring, since it was behind the tenders and there wasn’t much of a view. So I didn’t press my hosts to get me up up there.

I took about 1,300 pictures over four days. (Thank Og for digital cameras!) Here’s a selection: http://picasaweb.google.com/jthyder.

Any questions?

Wow. What an incredible opportunity and what a view! Thanks for sharing. My father and grandfather were huge train enthusiasts. My grandfather built his own steam engines and train cars - don’t remember the gauge, but they were large enough that you were able to ride on the flat cars around the elevated track he and his fellow enthusiasts had built - - all live steam.

When I was 40, my Dad and I went to Italy to visit my aunts and one of the things we did was take a sidetrip by train from the Riviera, where we were staying, up to Torino, near the alps. On the trip back, we went slightly into France and through the edge of the Alps. It was just an unbelievable experience - the views were breathtaking. And there were similar structures to the spiral tunnels, too. It was just an unforgettable trip.

Thanks again for sharing the experience!

I’m not a steam train buff, but I recently made a 3D model of a locomotive, and was inspired directly by the Hudson 4-6-4 design when building it, which the Canadian Pacific “Empress” is.

It’s a mighty fine looking machine, and I am quite jealous.

Yet another jealous train buff here, but you knew that already.

I was unable to get to anywhere I could get photos of your trip from the sidelines those days, but I like the ones you got. You would have gone through Morant’s Curve just east of Lake Louise, which is a popular spot to get photos of trains passing through the Rockies–I’ve got a few photos of trains going through there, but never a steam train. (The link points to a YouTube video of CP 2816 going through the Curve.)

Sounds like you had a good time, although you could have said “one day less in Calgary meant I couldn’t meet those terrific Calgary Dopers.” Royal Tyrell Museum indeed. :smiley: