Transsubstantiation

No. But, as has already been pointed out more than one time in this thread, they do believe in the Divine Presence at Communion. Transubstantiation is an RCC theological construct, but many Protestants believe that Jesus is present at Communion. The problem is that you continue to claim that for (all) Protestants it is only symbolic, and that statement is in error.

Orthodox, (almost all) Episcopalians, and (most) Lutherans do believe in the Doctrine of the Real Presence, which amounts to “Christ said that the bread and wine were His Body and Blood, so we believe Him” – even if we have no idea how. As I said above, transubstantiation is the attempt of the normative Catholic theologian, Thomas Aquinas, to explain in the terms and categories his school of philosophy, the Scholastics, derived from Aristotelian metaphysics, how exactly something that looks like bread and wine before and after the prayer of consecration can nonetheless be changed as God told us to do in remembrance of Him. Interestingly, though, it’s pretty evident that the Greek word anamnesis which is translated as “remembrance” is not merely the equivalent of “celebrating the anniversary of some event in the past” – the “memorial” concept of most Protestants. Tripp Hudgins of Seabury-Western Theological Seminary has the following to say:

In sum, modern understanding of the Real Presence does not claim a “constant (or repeated) unbloody sacrifice of Christ over and over” but rather a mystical event whereby we are present at the one Sacrifice of Christ and the one Last Supper through vividly recalling before God the events of His last days as a mortal. This is why in every Eucharist the Words of Institution pronounced by Christ are repeated verbatim – to fix firmly in our minds what it is in which we participate.

Thaaaats where that tinge of guilt comes from! I knew it came from somewhere. I think mine was from the assistant catechist (who was a teenager, I believe). I contentedly chew the body of Christ now, help it down with a sip of blood …er wine … whatever.

Its a matter of faith. I dont think it can be made paletable rationally. Its what we catholics believe and anyone who cant stomach the concept can take up a diffferent denomination.

I believe that teminology is part of the debate. The traditional RCC doctrine of transubstantion teaches that the “substance” of bread and wine is changed into the body and blood Christ. (with the understanding of the “accidents” as already outlined)

My understanding of consubstantiation (a term that apparently has fallen out of favor with some Lutherans and others, I believe) is that it also addresses the idea of “Real Presence”, but suggests that the bread and wine “co-exist” with Christ’s physical body and blood…but that the bread and wine still essentially remain bread and wine.

Your Lutherans…Episcopalians etc…fall more into that camp.

(This is where Poly or one of my other Christian brethern will tell me that I’m full of crap :wink: )

The Calvinistic camp (and others) follow the teachings of Luther contemporary Ulrich Zwingli et al …that the breaking of the bread serves as a “remembrance”, with no real presence.

Thanks for the correction, I’ll try to remember that not all Protestants believe it is symbolic as I do. Of course, I do believe in Christ’s presence because He’s with me always since I accepted Him into my heart. I just don’t think there’s a special presence in the wafer and grape juice, but that’s just my humble opinion.

this is a little off topic, but i must ask… is canibilism only acceptable when you are eating your savior?

Okay, let it never be said that I refused a request from a brother in Christ: “Beagledave, you’re full of crap!” :smiley:

Seriously, I wish a Lutheran would jump in here and explain their understanding of consubstantiation, because I read a clarification of that once, and it works a paradigm shift on the concepts we use that really helps explain their theology. I won’t even try to give an explanation of my shoddy grasp of their thinking – but it’s definitely worth reading!

As for the rest of us – Orthodox, Anglicans, and some Protestants alike – we don’t so much reject transubstantiation as we do the entire Scholastic substance/accidents conceptualization that is used to explain it. We simply say, in response to the prayer offered up in the Great Thanksgiving, the Canon of the Mass, Christ is really and truly present under the forms of bread and wine. How? We don’t have a clue. Why? For the strengthening of the faithful by the reception of communion. Well, isn’t He present everywhere? Absolutely. But in the Divine omnipresence, there is no focus – nothing intelligible to our limited human conceptions. But in the bread and wine, He becomes present to us in a special way, a focused way in which we can truly be in communion with Him. Mann ist wass Sie isst – we are living members of the Mystical Body of Christ; we consume Him under the form of bread and wine to be a part of Him. In the words of the postcommunion prayer that cjhoworth and I love:

BTW, the old fundie. thing about being “washed in the blood of the Lamb” has an interesting twist if you look at it in this way. Sounds really ooky, doesn’t it? But consider this: blood only stains and clots when it’s outside the body. Within the body, blood functions to cleanse and nurture – it carries nutrition and oxygen to the members of the body, and carries away their waste. “For you together are the body of Christ, and individually its members.” The standard formula, of course, is that the priest administers the body and blood of Christ to the assembled faithful – but it’s just as true to say that he gives consecrated bread and wine to the Body of Christ for its strengthening and cleansing!