Travel tips for Japan

Here is a list of kanji to learn for your first visit to Japan that I once posted in another thread.

Logograph - 入
Meaning - entrance/inside
Pronunciation - (not relevant)
Usefulness - for knowing where the queue starts, or where the entrance door is.
Not to be confused with - 人, meaning person.

Logograph - 出
Meaning - exit/leave
Usefulness - for knowing where the exit is.
Won’t be easily confused with anything else.

Logograph - 女
Meaning - woman
Usefulness - for finding where the woman’s toilet or changing room is.

Logograph - 男
Meaning - man
Usefulness - for finding where the men’s toilet or changing room is.
Won’t be easily confused with anything else but me 勇

Logograph - 口
Meaning - mouth/entry
Usefulness - for finding where a gate or entrance is, particularly at public buildings.

Logograph - 北
Meaning - north
Pronunciation - “kita”
Usefulness - for finding directions or in place names.
May be confused with other kanji so study the form well.

Logograph - 東
Meaning - east
Pronunciation - “higashi”

Logograph - 南
Meaning - south
Pronunciation - “minami”

Logograph - 西
Meaning - west
Pronunciation - “nishi”
May be confused with 酒, meaning alcohol, pronounced “osake”

I was spoiled when we went to Tokyo. A Japanese friend (she had lived with us as an exchange student) took the days off (we were only there for a weekend) and gave us a tour.
A highlight was eating a Japanese restaurant for Japanese people, not for tourists. It was wonderful,except for the bowl of what I can describe as pickled seaweed. Tasted great, but was the consistency of snot.:stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, they’ve priced the rail pass so you need to do some math first to see whether it’s going to be worth it (prices can be had by checking planned rail trips using Google Maps). If the OP is on a guided tour, then my guess is it probably won’t be worth it, especially if he’s not going on at least a few long Shinkansen trips; the bullet train is where the rail pass can really pay for itself.

If you’re into shopping/browsing experiences, here are a few for your consideration:

Electronics: Look for Bic Camera or Yodobashi Camera. Kyoto has both within walking distance from Kyoto Station. Osaka has Yodobashi Camera within walking distance of Osaka Station, and Bic Camera is down south near Dotonbori. Each store has many floors with an insane selection of electronics and home appliances. Not sure where they are in Tokyo, but Google Maps is your friend.

Household goods: look for Tokyu Hands. They have several sizes of store; the largest one I’ve seen, near Ikebukuro Station in Tokyo, is like Home Depot, Dick’s Sporting Goods, Bed Bath & Beyond, and Hobby Lobby all rolled into one. Camping gear, craft supplies, kitchen wares, tools, you name it, they had it. Something there for everyone; my wife browses kitchen wares and other areas, and I tend to wander around the tools and craft supplies. Lots of interesting things you won’t readily find in the US. They also have a fairly large store in the Osaka Station South gate building, and another a few blocks north of Dotonbori (Osaka).

Department store basements have already been mentioned for their vast basement food displays. In Tokyo, you might check out Mitsukoshi in Ginza. This place has the added bonus that if you do want to buy something to eat, you can carry your goods up to the (I think) 11th floor, where there’s a rooftop garden with tables you eat at, and (equally important) trash cans for discarding the packaging. You can also buy beverages in the basement, or up on that 11th floor. In Kyoto, check out Isetan at the west end of Kyoto Station. In Osaka (station), check out Daimaru in the South gate building, Hanshin just south of there, or Hankyu just east of there. If you buy something, you may be able to eat it in the Southgate building at the Taiyo-no-Hiroba, a sunny deck on (I think) the ~16th floor - or you can go to the Northgate building and look for the Kaze-no-Hiroba, a similar outdoor plaza with benches and a few tables. Can’t guarantee the availability of trash cans at either place, so you may want to check on that first.

Which brings up another point: public trash cans in Japan are in extremely short supply. Before you do anything that generates trash, consider that you may well find yourself carrying that trash all the way back to your hotel room.

All of these cities have blocks-long covered shopping arcades. In Kyoto, look for Teramachi, and branching off of its south end, Nishiki Market (the latter is more about food). In Osaka, there’s a whole complex of arcades around Dotonbori. To the north, Shinsaibashi has a lot of fashion stuff, but to the south there is Ebisubashisuji, which has more restaurants. Douguyasuji, a block or two east, has a lot of stores that sell equipment for restaurants - everything from cups and plates to major kitchen hardware. Several blocks further east is Kuromon Ichiba - a lot more food here, including a couple of proper grocery stores that make for interesting browsing.

Take some time to walk around in Kyoto Station and Osaka Station. These are enormous buildings, and in both places you can take escalators and/or stairs that will put you on the rooftop for a nice view of the city. In Osaka, you might also consider the 1/2-mile walk over to the Umeda Sky Building, where the span between two towers is occupied by an observation deck, giving you 360-degree views of the city.

If you’re a baseball fan - or even if you’re not - consider attending a Japanese professional baseball game. The level of enthusiasm is more like a European soccer match (without the hooliganism); an American baseball game is sleepy by comparison. It can be challenging to get tickets online beforehand if you don’t read Japanese, but if you can pull in a favor from a Japanese-speaking friend, it may be worth it. The Hanshin Tigers home field is Koshien Stadium, a short train ride from Osaka Station.

If you want to get up close and personal with a troupe of Japanese macaques, visit Iwatayama Monkey Park in Kyoto. It’s a good 20-minute walk up a hillside, but you’ll be out there with the monkeys (don’t touch and fergodsake DON’T stare), and you can also enter a caged area where you can feed the monkeys (which are on the outside of the cage).

If you’re a pre-planner, Google Maps is a great resource for figuring out which trains to take, and which stations to get on/off at (and also how long it’s going to take to get somewhere). A cell phone is also a handy resource, even without cellular service. When you’re using wifi in your hotel room, scroll around on the map so it downloads all of the detail in the area; then you’ll have it as a navigational reference when you’re out and about (you can also connect to wifi at many restaurants and coffee shops). It’s sometimes very useful to know that the train station or tourist attraction you’re trying to reach is just one or two blocks over.

A few worthy cultural attractions in Kyoto (not a comprehensive list):

Kinkakuji (“The Golden Pavilion”)
Ginkakiji (“The Silver Pavilion”)
Kiyomizu-Dera (plenty of touristy shops on the way back down the hill to the NW)
Fushimi-Inari (famous for the gazillion orange “Torii” gates that line the loop trail on the mountainside; nice view of Kyoto from that trail)
Sanjusangendo (a LOOOONG building filled with 1000 life-sized statues of the Buddha)

The aforementioned monkeys are in Arashiyama, which has plenty of other things to see and do. Check out Togetsukyo bridge (you’ll cross it to get to the monkeys), and also the walk through Sagano bamboo forest. Plenty of touristy stores and restaurants in the area, and a few temples/shrines.

If only have a day or so free in each city, I would avoid making long out-of-town field trips, as you’ll end up spending a good percentage of your time on the train. Hiroshima, for example, is about two hours each way from Osaka; the atomic bomb museum and peace park are significant, but given how limited your free time is on this particular trip, I’m not sure it’s worth spending four hours in transit for that alone, as doing so rules out doing a lot of other stuff Osaka/Kyoto.

My one tip: bring a handkerchief or small towel with you to dry your hands; some toilets don’t have any paper towels or hand dryers, so I felt like a chump wiping my wet hands on my pants.

OP, you don’t say where you’ll be traveling from. If you’re traveling from Canada or the lower 48 states, be prepared for very severe jet lag. I’ve been to Japan several times now (traveling from Michigan), and for the first couple of nights it’s impossible for me to sleep past 3AM. Get as much light as you can, especially in the late afternoon and evening (after dark, go check out Bic/Yodobashi; the sales floor lighting is almost comically bright, and the noise will help too), and before you go to bed on those first couple of evenings, I recommend visiting a convenience store (e.g. Lawson’s, 7-11, Family Mart) and picking up some yogurt and/or other snacks so you have something to eat the next morning before any of the restaurants open.

For cash:
I’d recommend visiting your bank here in the states to buy some Japanese currency before you go so that you can buy things in Japan (like train/taxi fare) right away without getting an abysmal exchange rate at the airport. How much to bring? It’s up to you. My wife and I usually leave the US with about 50K yen each (about $500 each), and get through the whole trip with a combination of credit card transactions and ATM withdrawals. There are a lot of ATMs (including at all the post offices); certain ones may or may not work with your debit card. You’ll want to check with your credit/debit card banks first to understand any foreign transaction fees that may apply, and maybe even let them know that you’ll be visiting Japan and they shouldn’t freeze your account when the Japanese transactions start showing up. If your checking/savings bank has a foreign transaction fee and/or a non-network ATM fee, and you don’t have a big enough account balance to convince them to waive those fees for you, then plan on maximizing each ATM withdrawal (100,000 yen, ~$1000) so that you make the fewest withdrawals possible during your trip.

I’d like to put in a word for Nara. It’s actually better and more manageable than Kyoto in lots of ways, with the temples and other attractions set in a parkland setting. It’s an easy day-trip from Osaka.

In addition to the other great suggestions : If you’re at all interested in Cosplay (kids dressing up as various anime characters), check out the Harajuku area of Tokyo on Sundays, I think, maybe confirm the best day w the people at your hotel, might’ve changed since I was over there a few years ago. Some incredibly elaborate & detailed costumes. The kids really get into it, sorta like a recurring comic con. Second the baseball game idea too, even if you’re not really a fan. As has been noted, a very different experience from baseball in the US/Canada. Sumo also fun to see live if ya get a chance, but don’t know if your dates coincide with a tournament or not.
Extremely jealous of you, have fun! :slight_smile:

And don’t forget the deer! You can buy these cracker things to feed them. You have to be a little careful, they are generally greedy, just hold up your empty hands when the crackers are gone and walk away. At their regular feeding time, someone blows a horn (I seem to remember something like a French horn) and they come running from all directions. But there are always at least a few around to eat your deer crackers (shika senbei).

I don’t think those are children, which is the impression one may get from your post. They tend to be older teenagers and young adults. The last time I saw this, many of the groups had practiced elaborate dance routines to go with their costumes. Generally everything was done in groups, which makes it unlike comic-con in that respect.

Sorry, I’m an old fart, everyone’s a “kid” to me, but yes, these generally are teens & young adults as you said. Thanks for the correction & keep offa my lawn!. Didn’t know about the group performance bit, only saw folks milling about in costume, but thank you, ignorance fought!

That’s a great list! I spent a lot of time in Japan (many, many short trips) and loved learning to read as many kanji as I could. And those were some of the first ones I learned. Once you get started, it’s a lot easier than you think to develop a good “survival” list. A few more I would add is:

Logograph: 日本
Meaning: Japan
Pronunciation “Nippon” or “Nihon”
Usefulness: You’re in that country!!
May be confused with lots of other characters. It’s the combination of “sun” and “origin” – land of the rising sun.
More formally written: 日本国 that 3rd kanji is “country” and you’ll see it after most every country’s name.

Logograph: 東京
Meaning: Tokyo.
Pronunciation: toe-kyo (don’t over pronounce the “y” by saying TOE-key-oh) Imagine Rocky saying “yo” and then put a “k” in front.
Usefulness: It’s the capital. Note the first kanji is “east”. East Capital. Bonus points: Use Isamu’s list to figure out what Beijing (北京) and Nanjing (南京) mean. :wink:

Logograph: 大阪
Meaning: Osaka
pronunciation: osaka
Usefulness: The 2nd largest city and at the main destination of many train trips from Tokyo to the west.

If you fell a tiny bit adventurous, spend some time and learn Katakana. It’s not that difficult. That’s the syllabary that is used to write foreign, mostly English, words. Once you can read Katakana, you’ll recognize most of the words, since they are English, and it will help you understand why Japanese pronounce English words the way they do.

Basically the only places in Japan you need to go are: Hokkaido in the spring/summer/early fall, or in wintertime, the Meguro parasite museum. Hokkaido is also nice in wintertime.

I think it’s the other way around. You have to understand why Japanese pronounce English words the way they do (Japanese has a lot fewer consonants and vowel sounds than English) before you can reconstruct something written in katakana back into English. Bath and bus, for example, sound the same in Japanese, and berth is similar. So context is also important. But with a fair amount of practice, this can be useful.

If you post what is in your tour, it will be easier to add suggestions rather than write up things such as Himeji castle, which apparently is already in your schedule. If you have any things you prefer than ant advice can be more specific.

I was there for 25 years. There are a lot of choices.

I guess it depends on how good you are at puzzles. For me, I learned it the way I described. Try spelling out your name or hometown in Katakana sometime.

Sorry for the delay in responding - I have had an unexpectedly busy week.

I really appreciate all the responses.

Places already covered in the tour:

• Tokyo: Meiji Shrine, Senso-ji Temple, Tokyo Sky Tree.
  • Hakone, Yokohama Red Brick Warehouse, Daibutsu and Kotoku-in Temple. Boat cruise on Lake Ashi
  • Mt Fuji 5th station, Matsumoto Castle
  • Travel by coach to Takayama. Jigokudani – the Monkey Park, Taisho Pond (Taishoike) in Kamikochi.
    Kappa Bashi (Kappa Bridge)
  • Shirakawago Village, Takayama’s Old Town
  • Kanazawa, visit Kenrokuen Garden, Nomura House,
  • Nara, Kinkakuji: Golden Pavilion, Heian Jingu (Heian Shinto Shrine), Todaiji (Great Eastern
    Temple), Nara Park
  • Osaka Castle, Umeda Sky Building Floating Observatory
  • Himeji Castle

So we are doing a lot already, but still have free time in Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto.

The suggestions so far in the this thread are great - we likely won’t have time to do all of the things, but it has given me some ideas. I am enjoying the practical tips like the lack of hand dryers and rubbish bins, as well.

I am planning to speak to my bank, to make sure they know I will be in Japan and don’t flag the transactions

I’m actually from Australia, not America, so there won’t be much time difference for me to deal with.

Thanks, everyone

It sounds like you’re already doing a lot of the “approved cultural experiences” things. I’d suggest taking the days off to just wander around and explore the neighborhoods you’re in, particularly in Tokyo. Get to see some regular everyday Japanese life, have a beer and some ramen in a tiny hole in the wall bar, or have dinner at the “Sushi-go-round” restaurants, where you pick up plates off a conveyor belt, and pay per plate for your food. That place in the video is pretty fancy, but you can find similar set ups that are a bit less high-tech.

I mean, seriously, imagine finding a place like this while just wandering around:

There’s little hole in the wall restaurants like that all over the place. I want to go back to Japan just to spend a couple of weeks finding places like that.

Yes, if you’re going to just wander around, any commuter train station is a very good starting place. Also it helps to keep you from getting lost, and it should be easy to get a cab back to your hotel (if necessary) from there.

Speaking of which, it’s always a good idea to get a business card or something from each hotel you stay at if you’re going to go off on your own, so you can show it to the cab driver when you’re coming back. This may be changing now due to the 2020 Olympics, but I’ve never met a cab driver who spoke or understood much English.

Your covering a few places that are off the beaten path and are some of my favorite places in Japan (Nara, Kanazawa, Takayama, Shirakawa-go). I also liked Hakone a lot, as it’s kind out outside the usual temple/shrine/castle/garden tourist experience.

Been a long time since I’ve lived in Japan, so I’m not going to get too specific as my info is likely out-of-date, although I see most of basic ideas others have mentioned still apply.

In addition to the amazingness of Japan’s flagship department stores and covered shopping arcades, major trains stations will have extensive underground shopping arcades catering to commuters. Lots of stores, restaurants, cafes, and so on, and handy to get to an exit closer to your destination to avoid surface traffic or rain. Lots of cool stuff in Japan is hidden away in basement passages. Remember, Sukibayahsi Jiro, which might be the best sushi restaurant in the world, is in the basement of a nondescript office building basement.

So you have one free day each in Tokyo, Kyoto, and Osaka? You haven’t really mentioned what your interests are and what interests you about Japan, so it’s hard too tailor things to your free day. You’re already seeing a lot of temples, shrines, and castles, so I’m not going to go too heavy on those, except for a few exceptions.

A few general tips:
-Figure out public transport access from your hotel, and how to get to your destination beforehand.
-Have a backup plan for each city in case of things like inclement weather or unexpected closings.
-If you are going to a place like a temple, shrine, park, or garden, get out and get there EARLY. You appreciate these places a lot more when you can see them in quiet contemplation before the tour buses start disgorging crowds of people.
-Japan does not have daylight savings time.
-The Kansai area is compact enough that part of the free day in Osaka or Kyoto can be spent outside of Osaka or Kyoto. For example, Kobe is a short train ride from Osaka and Uji is a short hop from Kyoto. Tokyo is too sprawling to really get out of town for a short trip.
Check event schedules. You might luck out and be in town for a major festival or special event.
-If you can, go to an onsen hot springs or a public bath.

I’ll send you a Pasmo card (chargeable railway and bus pass) if you like. I have several spare ones. PM me.