Travelling Wilburys or Wings

But then again, I did. I’m just unsatisfied with my vote, like a normal election.

Wilburys. Every time. Handle With Care may be my favorite song - tied with What Is Life for the top spot.

I can put Wilburys Vol 1 or 3 on and not skip any songs. Very few albums can I say that about (off the top of my head, I think Revolver and Flaming Pie may be the only other ones with that distinction). The Wilbury story, both the real one and the produced one, make it all that much better.

Denny Laine. And don’t forget Linda, who I think was below the Mendoza line for keyboard players.

That’s the kind of thing my parents said, back in the 60s. They preferred Perry Como.

I’d prefer a cat in heat, or even Leonard Cohen.

Q. What do you call a dog with wings?

A. Linda McCartney.

Don’t look now, but misogyny disguised as a joke is still misogyny. In fact, it is one of the worst kinds of bigotry.

and the light-hearted thread is killed …

Now I know Roy, George and Tom could likely write and perform a damn good tune about that too.

I liked them both but it was different eras so hard to choose Wings had the nostalgia but the Wilbury’s was talent upon talent even with Dylan being an acquired taste.

I never like Wings. The Traveling Wilburys I really like.

Traveling* Wilburys** by far. Who knew five brothers could end up with such a great sound? Their short career as a band is an asset: all of their songs are good, because they didn’t have time to put out filler. I made a playlist of their songs. It was too short, but adding in good songs from each member’s pre-band life makes for a great set.

Still waiting to see who will win the tontine. I expect it’ll be Lucky.

*Note 1: only one “l” even though it looks stupid.
**Note 2: should be “ies”, but I guess orthography wasn’t their thing.

Yes, Wings sure had one great song. Do you like “Band on the Run” as much as I do?

Dave Marsh (or maybe some other Rolling Stone magazine critic, I’m not sure at this point) on Dylan: He doesn’t have a great voice. But he has a great rock-and-roll voice.

Wilburys for me. Never got into a lot of Wings, mostly Band on the Run album. Title track is amazing, the rest, while okay to listen to, just aren’t a lot of fun, for lack of a better word. There’s no bite to them.

ETA: An by implication, I hope it’s clear that I think the Wilburys songs had that essential “bite”, more often than not.

The Wilburys were ok…nothing special. McCartney did put out some really good stuff and some really questionable stuff but he put out a lot more. I’ll pick through those.

I’m trying to type this as a countdown from 10 to 1, but preview shows it automatically numbering 10, 11, 12…?

1. With a little luck
  2. Uncle Albert/Admiral Halsey
  3. Junior’s Farm
  4. Jet
  5. Band on the Run
  6. Live and Let Die
  7. My Love
  8. Another Day
  9. Listen to what the man said
  10. Maybe I’m Amazed

Live and Let Die is to me their great song.
“Band on the Run” is one of the good ones. But so much of Wings’ catalog is not good.

:slight_smile:

Yeah, that is a great song. I forgot about that one.

Travelling Wilburys was a bunch of great musicians in a generic band. Wings was a bunch of generic musicians plus Paul McCartney doing a lot of original and innovative stuff, with results varying from great to terrible.

I’ll take Wings.

It’s interesting to hear different views. I always thought of Wings as a bland remake of the Beatles–proving that Paul was great, but really needed John as a counterbalance. The Traveling Wilburies might not have had flash, but they had a lot of soul. Their songs are meaningful.

The Travelling Wilburys was five (then four) lead singers in a gimmick band dreamed up by George Harrison, with fake backstory liner notes written by Eric Idle(first album) and Michael Palin(second album). Some of it was good, but as a whole I found it to be artificial.

What?! Next, you’ll be telling us that there never really was a circus owned by a Mr Python.

I am grateful to all of you for bringing the Traveling Wilburies to my attention. I was intrigued by the posted question, googled the Wilburies, went to YouTube just to check them out-fell head first into the first song and spent several hours delightfully lost in their sound. Made a plan to go back often.

How I missed it their first time, I will never know (graduated from high school in 1968, dyed in the wool hippie and all).

Investigating the Wilburies sent me into listening to Roy Orbison’s Black and White Night. Another few delightful hours.

So, thank you all!:clap:t3: Keep up the good work.