Trendy Foods That Make You Ask "Why"?

Okay, I’ll give you that. A little goes a long way.

(Personally I’m a fan of oak leaf lettuce - green or red. Why is this not more widely available?)

I don’t know but I’d agree with you. It’s good stuff.

Incidentally, just so you can all laugh at me and call me pretentious. I was making a salad the other day and my kids were asking me why you can’t eat flowers.

Well of course you can and I noticed that my chives had some beautiful big purply-blue flowers on them. So I picked some, rinsed them off and broke off the florets into the salad. I’ve never eaten them before but they were a lovely sweet, oniony addition (and the little 'uns thought eating flowers was immense fun)

But then that isn’t trendy, as my family will happily tell you, almost by definition anything I do magically becomes un-trendy.

I’ve done that same thing! Chive flowers are delicious and beautiful.

They also make a great compound butter, which is just a fancy way of saying “take a block of butter out of the fridge, let it soften some, and mix something in with it” - in this case, the “something” was the little florets from the chive blossoms. Really good on top of a steak.

Of course, we’re about a month away from my chives blossoming, and now I want them today. <sigh>

oooooooo! good idea.

Here in the UK we’ve had an extremely mild dry and sunny spring so everything seems to be doing really well.
I’m also lucky enough to live in Kent “the garden of England” and the seasonal produce here is top notch. We get a local vegetable box delivered every week so whatever is doing well, we get. This week’s speciality was asparagus and we are nearly into cherry and raspberry season…woohoo!

Jambalaya and kimchee – that could definitely work.

Homemade ice cream. I mean, you can buy the stuff in a store.

Cake, but in a single-serving size; it’s a win-win situation. I’m a bit puzzled by the shops that only sell these, however.

Can’t that be said about just about anything?

That was my thought. I frequently make beer, and that takes several weeks to complete, compared to a couple hours (?) at most to make your own ice cream.

<perks up> I have chives blossoming in my aerogarden, a head of butter lettuce in the fridge along with some arugala and romaine, and a bag of baby spinach. I can grill up some leftover roast beef and change my salad type for lunch and still stay roughly on plan …

Except I need another 3g of fiber in something. Bugger.

I eat it anyway.

On fusion…

There is this amazing Korean/Greasy-spoon fusion breakfast place in Honolulu. They take traditional American diner breakfast ingredients (eggs, bacon, brkft sausage, biscuits & gravy) and twist them into wonderful meals with Korean spices and additions.

Kimchee omelet with biscuits in a spicy beef broth? Oh yeah!

:eek: Blasphemy! Clearly you have never tasted my dad’s ice cream.

Wait, how is that a trend? People have been making homemade ice cream forever.

Little ‘slider burgers’, and I KNOW why. It’s a ploy by restaurants like Applebees to make you think you’re getting something special. They also sell them pre-made in the meat section, and special little buns, and you pay double the price for the novelty. Not to mention a pain in the butt to cook on the grill unless you put them in a special basket.

Sliders are awesome for kids’ birthday parties.

(The big boys can have real burgers.)

This is how I felt about garlic when it suddenly became ubiquitous some years back. Garlic is wonderful, but I got the impression that it got used to cover up a lot of lazy cooking. “This dish is bland?.. No problem – just gratuitously slather a few huge gobs of garlic into it!”

Oh great, I need a new keyboard now.

And a new-business license…

Eh, sort of. You can certainly buy cheap “frozen dessert product” in the store - basically milk and sugar and artificial flavourings whipped up with a shedload of air. And you can buy expensive, crème anglaise based ice cream in the store - good, but like I said, expensive, and always too sweet for my taste. Or you can make your own, delicious, crème anglaise based ice cream, to whatever taste suits you for a lot less. Lime and black olive? Tarragon and strawberry? Plain old vanilla bean? Saffron and chocolate? Anything you like.

I always say the same thing about foam - I’ve had it dozens of times. 95 percent of the time, it’s just like, oh, foam. Or hey, looks like this person just discovered foam. Or whatever. The other five percent - my goodness my Guinness. It absolutely elevated the dish. It not only added to it, but was an essential component.

Yeah, I don’t get it. My standard homemade mayo is basically olive oil, egg yolk, lemon, and a touch of Dijon mustard. Lemon juice and/or vinegar is the traditional acid component of mayo. One trick I have to make prepared mayo taste a bit more like homemade mayo (or, at least the type of homemade I like) is to beat in olive oil and lemon juice.

I’d rather have senorita’s taco trailer, mind you she had neither the money or time for an actual truck. She simply had an old trailer a carnival stove and a flattop. Dishes piled out the backdoor/escape hatch. Crisp flavors and a rustic/roach coach atmosphere.