Trigger Warnings on College Syllabi

I don’t really see what the ruckus is about. Consumers (the students) are asking for something from the seller (the university). In this case, it’s trigger warnings. Meh. Consumers asks for stuff all the time and sellers accommodate them all the time.

Now, if we’re talking about legislating trigger warnings, okay, that’s a complicated discussion and we should certainly debate it (and I’d be inclined to oppose legislation or to make sure the legislation is very, very narrow). But simply requesting that a service you are paying for be a better service for you strikes me pretty ordinary.

I will suggest that this concept is what the ruckus is about. “Student as consumer” is a concept that is very problematic in most higher ed circles.

A)Some students want it, the rest don’t. All will get it.
B)The “sellers” feel that it will cheapen their ‘product’.

I’m still going to go with my suggestion to make the syllabus available a week or two before you register for class and let the students research, on their own, the course material. If they’re going to take a class on film history, but can’t deal with war movies, they can check to see if there are any war movies. If they’re going to take a Women’s Studies class but get ‘triggered’ by rape, they can see how thoroughly rape is covered in the class, if they are taking a Lit class and have to read Lolita, that might be tough if they have a 12 year old daughter at home.
But to expect every teacher to warn them about every detail in every book or movie is impossible. And then, on top of everything else, if it really is PTSD, a real trigger is going to be the teacher walking in wearing a Red Hoodie.

As I’ve been teaching my 8 year old daughter, you have to be responsible for yourself, don’t rely on other people to do it for you.
It’s amazing how often the lessons I try to instill in her are the same things I find myself telling 20-30 year olds (IRL too, not just on message boards).

I’m trying to think of an analogy. Maybe that peanuts are removed from (some) schools because of a few kids. How about if you bought a burger and found that you got a veggie burger because some people were offended by beef. That’s still not quite right.
I got it…Back when the Sopranos was on, I could always tell if someone was going to get killed by the warnings at the beginning. Ya know “This program is rated blah blah blah, it contains nudity, violence, drug use…” If they said “Violence” it almost always meant someone was getting whacked. The show was spoiled before it started because someone else felt the need to be offended for me.

Now they want to put these warnings in colleges. A few people don’t like some of the material and think everyone needs to be warned. Mind you, these are college aged kids, not 7 year olds about to watch someone get murdered because their parents have a TV show on and didn’t realize how violent it was going to get.

I don’t need someone to be offended for me, I can be offended for myself just fine and you just need to worry about yourself. If you need a trigger warning, maybe talk to the teacher before the class started. Go find them during their office hours and have a quick chat about the course materiel. Tell them you checked it all out and you think it’s all okay, but you have a real issue with [violence towards kids/red hoodies/bees/snakes being skinned/atheism/whatever] and is any of that going to be covered in the class. If it is then you can decide if it’s something that you can deal with, skip or you need to drop the class. Again, take responsibility for yourself, don’t make the entire country change because you don’t like something. That’s some recreational outrage right there, especially when it comes from people that don’t have any ‘triggers’ they’re just pushing the cause along because they like causes.

Not so much an “inconvenience” as “completely redundant and unneccesary, except as a political gesture”. If you are taking pretty well any humanities course, you are pretty well guaranteed to encounter situations that would “trigger” someone. Classics, anyone? There is hardly a Greek myth out there that does not include rape, incest or dismemberment. Literature? Filled with conflict, racism, harsh situations. History? Art? Same.

To my mind, I agree with you that if someone is suffering from a genuine PTSD, they ought to be accomodated insofar as possible, as one ought with any other disability. Assuming that everyone who is not White and Male suffers from PTSD strikes me as paternalistic.

I blame Tumblr.

I went to college in the 1980s, and profs told us when a book or film might be disturbing-- on day one, but not in the sense of a trigger warning. It was more like, “drop the class now if you can’t handle it. Don’t come asking for an incomplete halfway through.” In film studies, it involved giving the rating of a film, and whether it was mainly for sex, or for violence. Whether anyone ever went to talk to a prof privately was between the prof and the student. I suppose it was always possible to ask not read something different, but then you couldn’t participate in class discussions. Profs might consider it for a single book out of seven, I suppose, but not for an entire curriculum. I don’t know, because I never had to talk to a prof.

In creative writing class, we had to warn people ahead of time if our stories used “swear” words, and a classmate could choose not to read a story that had “fuck” in it, but I don’t remember that profs ever told us to warn about explicit sex or violence. Maybe because few people wrote about that, because you don’t want to hear that your sex scene was amateurish.

When I was in high school, in drama class, and we did a scene from a play that had a “swear” word, we could choose to change the word, or do the scene as written, and give our class a verbal warning before we performed, so that anyone who might be offended could choose to leave. In four years of drama class, I don’t remember anyone ever leaving. The one exception was “goddamn.” We had to say just “damn” (or something like “goldarn,” if “damn” didn’t scan well), and that came from the administration, not the teacher.

The only thing I ever heard phrased as a “trigger” warning was when I was going to a film for a class I wasn’t actually taking (you could buy cheap passes to see the films even when you weren’t enrolled in the class, and I did it a lot), the prof warned epileptics that there was a strobe light scene so many minutes in, and if they needed to leave, they should feel free to do so. No one left. There was another time when the prof warned people of a very loud scene, but it was just a warning, not a “Get up and go if you need to.”

I’m totally in favor of syllabi for film classes giving MPAA rating of a film, but calling it a “trigger warning” is a little silly. In lit classes, people majoring in lit are generally aware of what happens in books in the canon, even if they haven’t read them (profs can assign 8 books a semester to English majors, because people majoring in English have usually read half of them already), and the kinds of classes directed at non-majors usually have very well-known books, that it’s hard to be surprised by the content. Even if you have managed to get to college without reading The Scarlet Letter, you must know it’s sexist by modern standards-- the book is supposed to offend you-- it was supposed to offend Victorians, for cripes sake. And, most people know, even if they haven’t read it, but spoiler just in case, that Tess of the D’Urbervilleshas a rape scene.* If you can’t handle it, don’t take the class.

*If you ask me, it’s a scene that ought to provoke class discussion that could be beneficial to a rape victim, since it’s the kind of scene that that senator would probably not call “real rape,” since it doesn’t involve a stranger in the bushes, and a pregnancy results, but I doubt anyone in the class is going to disagree it is rape, and that rapist is pond scum. Also, the scene is mostly implied. It might as well say, “And then, Alec proceeded to be the biggest shmuck in the book-- no, maybe second biggest.”

I really feel like I have to add this: a great deal of college work is things you don’t want to do. I hate Faulkner, but I had to read Faulkner. I majored in English, but I had to take physics, probability & stats, computer programming and a foreign language, neuro-chemistry, and a whole lot of other “general requirements.” I started out in one math class I had to drop, because I thought I might not pass it, which believe me was traumatic, and it took some researching to find a class I could pass that fulfilled the same requirement.

A lot of people have been through trauma, and a lot of people face reminders in the form of unexpected stimuli that can result in a day of feeling bad, but they still get through the day. They don’t disrupt other people’s days, and they don’t need people tiptoeing around them, or constantly rearranging the environment to make it tolerable for them. Someone who does need that probably should be in intensive therapy, and isn’t ready for college yet.

You get tested in college; you get tried, and that is true even if there is nothing significantly traumatic in your background. College is not a right, and it isn’t for everyone. Some people had inadequate high school education, and need a prep school before they are ready for a four-year college. Some people, I guess, had especially difficult personal lives, and may need some special prep to handle the challenges of college, but that’s what they need to do, not expect college to adapt to their “triggers.”

I really don’t seem the point of such warnings, but then again I don’t see any harm in them either. For what it’s worth, the only trigger warning I ever received in eight and a half years of higher education was when my “introductory anthropology” professor said we’d be discussing evolution and if you couldn’t bring yourself to accept that it occurred you probably wouldn’t pass the class.

Lawyerfication. I’m a lawyer myself, so maybe I should not be against 'em. :smiley:

The concern is not putting such warnings in (or not), it is in making them mandatory - once you do that, you open the doors for any student with a grievance to argue that the waning was inadequate, wasn’t given properly, did not cover his or her specific trigger, etc.

The end result is a college sylabus that resembles a drug ad - a brief mention of the actual useful information students need, and a whole lot of fine print about how taking the course may result in anal leakage, etc. :wink:

It does seem like the educational equivalent of a California Prop 65 warning, doesn’t it?

The average college syllabus already looks like that. It’s one page of the course schedule, one paragraph of the instructor’s contact information, and five pages of the school’s accommodation policy for the disabled, policy on plagiarism/honor code, or whatever.

ISTM the solution is simply to indicate that inadequate warnings will not be grounds for a student grievance.

That’s quite true. If there’s no fine print, no one can complain it didn’t cover their issue, but as soon as you have a rape warning, then someone can complain there wasn’t also a racism warning, or a “bad” language warning, or a projectile vomit warning.

So there has to be a committee to decide what professors are beholden to warn students about, and at orientation, the students get the list. When someone wants something added to the list, it’ll be an issue at student government elections, and there will be protests, petitions, and a lot of time spent on something that detracts from actual education.

Every syllabus? it’s not just in the student handbook?

Or at least a grievance with the professor. There will need to be some kind of committee that periodically reviews the policy, and that’s where grievances should be directed.

It ought to just be in the student handbook, but at a lot of schools it isn’t. Hell, my law school’s syllabi now even include the (parent university’s) anti-hazing policy because of a major hazing scandal that broke out a few years ago.

But even a professor who believed in trigger warnings wouldn’t necessarily warn about bees.
Maybe they should require all students with triggers to list them before class begins, so the professor can address them individually.

One important point to consider is that college is supposed to be an experience that takes one outside of their comfort zone and gets them to think about big issues in society, including rape, genocide, grotesque medical conditions, and alternative viewpoints on the origins and destiny of mankind. You’re supposed to learn about them and how to think rationally about them. If you don’t want to know about the Holocaust, or Khmer Rouge, or the Crusades, don’t go to college. Go to trade school and become a carpenter and live a happy life.

The idea that our society inherently includes disturbing content was part of the theme of Arthur C. Clarke’s The Songs of Distant Earth.

The society of the planet of Thalassa was founded by children who were isolated from other humans from birth and raised by robots who taught a strictly censored curriculum that presented human history as 100% peaceful. Thalassa has no wars, no violent crime, and everyone more or less gets along all of the time. Later, the Thalassans come into contact with other humans who offer them an uncensored history. Should they accept? Will it mean the end of peace, or can they survive and become stronger by knowing their history?

But then who’s fault is it if the prof doesn’t remember that a given ‘trigger’ is in a movie or book? If a student comes to a teacher before the class starts to tell them that the can’t stand the site of bees or they were raped by a guy wearing a red hooding, should the teacher have to know if every page of the 2500 pages they’re going to read or every scene of the 20 hours of movies they’re going to watch is free of those things? Who takes responsibility when a bee flies by or there’s an extra wearing a red hoodie and student has a nervous breakdown?

The teacher should be well versed enough in the material to answer some of these questions, but not every single one.

Of course, now we’re (or at least I’m) starting to argue the hypothetical.

Don’t forget the emergency incident policies and procedures, such as walking, not running, to the nearest exit, and that the instructor will identify the classroom’s emergency exit(s) on the first day of class.

Very true. Generally, when you reread a book or watch a film again, you notice something new every time. Watching that SF space war movie again? Maybe this time you notice that several of the KD-423 class starcruisers appear to have smaller, secondary turrets near the engines that never fire during a battle. You wonder if it’s a special effects goof or a miscommunication between the props and the sfx departments or whether or not there is supposed to be a story behind it, like maybe those are old-style SWE Mark 1 Phase Blasters that are left over from the First Colony War and don’t work against new-style Polarized Radeon Shields, implying that these are old, refurbished ships and not the newest, shiniest product straight out of the Antares Shipyards.