Trivia Dominoes II — Play Off the Last Bit of Trivia — continued!

Because of the 20-plus year interruption, when construction resumed on the Monument the marble and granite for the upper portion came from different quarries than the stone used for the lower portion of the obelisk. While it initially did appear uniform and identical upon completion, environmental elements aged the marbles differently, so now we see a distinct difference in stone colors on the Monument indicating the level the monument had reached before the stoppage.

-“BB”-

The noted American historian David McCullough once wrote (and I agree with him) that he would aesthetically prefer that the fifty state flags be flown in a circle around the base of the Washington Monument, rather than the fifty identical U.S. flags now flown there.

A great idea. I like it too.

According to an undated document on nps.gov, the US National Monuments include:

— 104 National Monuments managed by the National Park Service
— 2 National Monuments co-managed by the National Park Service and BLM
— 1 National Monument co-managed by the National Park Service and FWS
— 21 National Monuments managed by the BLM
— 4 National Monuments co-managed by the BLM and FS
— 7 National Monuments managed by the Forest Service
— 3 National Monuments managed by the FWS
— 5 National Monuments co-managed by the FWS and NOAA
and
— 1 National Monument managed by President Lincoln’s Cottage

If my maths is correct, that’s a total of 146 National Monuments.

Well it looks like that doc title has the date: Feb 2021.

Joe Biden marked the conclusion of his first thirty days in office as the second Catholic President of the United States on February 20, 2021.

Two of Joe Biden’s four children are deceased. In 1972, his one-year-old daughter Naomi was killed in the automobile collision which also killed Biden’s first wife, Neilia. In 2015, his son Beau died from brain cancer.

Brain cancer surgery can now be performed non-invasively by my former company, Zap Surgical. I worked on their software for three years, helping to get them to ship their very first device, to Barrow Neurological Institute in Phoenix AZ, to shipping devices to 2 other continents, Asia (China) and Europe (Italy, France). Treatments are now performed on more devices in more countries around the world.

The noninvasive procedure is called radiosurgery, where a strong laser zaps the tumor from dozens of different angles, accumulating the lethal dose at the tumor while doing minimal harm to healthy tissue.

I am proud to have helped their mission in 2018-2021.

This 3-minute video shows how it’s done:

The first warp-capable spaceship built by human beings, as shown in the 1996 Star Trek movie First Contact, was the Phoenix.

Zephram Cochrane first appeared in Star Trek: The Original Series episode Metamorphosis where he was a younger man from Alpha Centari and not an older man from Earth as in the movie First Contact.

Zefram (note the unusual spelling) Cochrane was played by Glenn Corbett in that single 1967 episode of Star Trek: The Original Series, but by James Cromwell in the 1996 movie First Contact.

In the early years of the English Civil War, Oliver Cromwell was the leader of a cavalry regiment known as the ‘Ironsides’. After success in commanding this troop, he was given the nickname ‘Old Ironsides’.

‘Old Ironsides’ was also the nickname given the the ship the USS Constitution. This ship is the oldest ship of any type still afloat.

The USS Constitution was decommissioned in 1881 after 84 years of service. She was re-commissioned in July 1931 after an extensive reconstruction and remains on the U.S. Navy’s books to this day, with a Navy crew assigned to her. The ship can usually be toured at Pier 1 of the former Charlestown Navy Yard at one end of Boston’s Freedom Trail.

note: I have toured the ship–well worth the effort, IMHO.

I have been aboard her, and definitely agree.

The USS Enterprise, NCC-1701, Capt. James T. Kirk’s starship in Star Trek: The Original Series, was of the Constitution class, although that was not established until later iterations of Star Trek.

I have too, and I also agree.

Ciudad Constitución in Baja California Sur, MEX, is a small city which serves as a gateway to Magdalena Bay. It is about a 225 mile drive north of Cabo San Lucas, and about a 750 mile drive south of Tijuana.

Magdalena Bay is particularly noted for the seasonal migration of California gray whales that come during winter to calve.

The Northern Right Whale is a critically endangered species, with only around 360 individuals remaining in the western North Atlantic; they are probably extinct in the Eastern North Atlantic off the coast of Europe. They were hunted almost to extinction in the 1800s, considered the “right” whale by whalers because of their docility and their high blubber content which kept them afloat when they were killed. Climate change, entanglement in fishing nets and high shipping traffic in their habitat are other pressures on their population. No calves were born in 2018. 22 calves were born in 2021, the highest number since 2015, but 5 were killed in boat collisions and net entanglement.

(A few days ago I saw an exhibit on whaling which showed how small the population was with a floor painting of 400 whales, done a few years ago. It was sad to see how few there are)

The Blue Whale is not only the largest species of whale, it is also the largest known animal in the world. Individuals can grow up to 30 meters in length and can weigh more than 173 tons. The Fin Whale is the second-largest whale species, followed by the Sperm Whale, Right Whale, and Bowhead Whale.

(I’m not real sure how a whale is weighed…)

Members of the British Privy Council are entitled to be styled “The Right Honourable.” The Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition are customarily members of the Privy Council, as are many other current and former members of the House of Lords and the Commons.

For “The Right Honourable”, ‘right’ is an adverb meaning very, or thoroughly.

And similarly so for “The Right Reverend”, ‘right’ means ‘very’, or ‘most’.

Actor Christopher Lloyd’s breakthrough role was that of Reverend Jim Ignatowski, the spaced-out former hippie on the television sitcom Taxi.

Lloyd first appeared as Reverend Jim (ordained by the “Church of the Peaceful”) in a guest role during the show’s first season, in which he presided over a “paper marriage” between immigrant Latka Gravas (Andy Kaufman) and a prostitute, which allowed Gravas to remain in the U.S.; Reverend Jim became a regular character on Taxi during the show’s second season.

Christopher Lloyd is the co-creator and executive producer of the family sitcom Modern Family, which he co-created and produced with Steven Levitan. He is a TV producer and screenwriter. He is not an actor. He was born in 1960.

Christopher Lloyd the actor was born in 1938.