Truly stupid things that annoy the hell out of you

DaveX - I agree with your point as well. I too hate it when people won’t let the mergers in and play the speed up/slow down game to keep them from merging. I mean, for g-d sakes, they’re screwing up traffic enough already, let them in and keep it going! But when you say “it’s not a race, you don’t get a prize for finishing first”…shouldn’t the merger have this same thought as well when they speed to the front of the merge and try to squeeze their way in!? I guess the reality is that some people are just as rude on the road as they are in their daily lives and that’s the really sad part. I say, it’s all about the love!

Much love.

May you find no traffic or rude drivers in your travels and…wait, wrong thread.

Cars in front of you with their turn signals on…that drive straight for miles & miles & miles. Do they really dig the beat of the clicking sound that badly, or is it the blinking light that holds them rapt and spellbound?

I get tired of seeing all the overused cliches on this board, such as “Hi, Opal!” (though this one seems to have finally died), and the more recent “1920’s style death rays”, which doesn’t appear to be going away anytime soon.

I agree that people who run their windshield wipers too fast annoys me. What annoys me more is when it stops raining, but they leave them running!

There are plenty of examples of speech/grammar misuse that I could list, but they are far too numerous, and most of them are mentioned in related threads on this board. The thing I see misused the most often is the apostrophe.

I also have a long list of driving rants, but again, they are far too numerous, and most of them have also been covered in various threads here.

Most fads annoy me. I was glad to see the Macarena and line dancing both die a quick death when they did. Add to this the mass hysteria over Tickle Me Elmo, Tamagatchi (sp?), Furbies, Beanie Babies, and whatever the latest craze is this year.

The Catchphrase of the Year™. Remember when everybody was saying, “Is that your final answer?”, “You are the weakest link!”, etc., thinking they’re being funny and original?

The pharmacy line at CVS

At least as theCVS I use, the line almost always seems to form up the back isle where you can’t see the people…ANY OF THEM.

They seem to conform to a HUGE following distance as if they were standing behind someone at an ATM, only TWICE as far back.

Don’t be shy people!

Loud Eaters! Preach it MinniePurl! My grandma is one. She’s my favorite relative. She’s done everything for me and I adore her. But I can’t be next to her while she chews with her mouth open…my hands tremble as I visualize damaging her with a fork. I can’t even tell her about it, because I’d never hurt her feelings, but she has no idea how close she’s come to violent death so many times.
And, spelling mistakes, especially on signs or in commercials. Gee, your company looks obsessed with quality.:rolleyes:

Echoing Dung Beetle and MinniePurl on the loud eaters, and adding two that spring to mind, but I’m sure there are others :wink:

people who insist on leaving their fingerprints all over monitor screens (and t.v.screens) - drives me bonkers.

car passengers who yell out “park there! park there!” when I already know where I’m going to park, thankyoukindly.

People who press an already lit elevator button. Do they think their powers will have the elevator arrive quicker? It’s lit and were standing here waiting so just stand along side us and the elevator will arrive!

Drivers who see a backed up line for a highway exit and think they can cut everyone off and squeeze into the line at the last possible moment. Jack Asses! The best is that I don’t care if they scratch my car but they sure as hell don’t want theirs tainted so I usually win in the standoff.

People who talk with their “hands free” cell phone device when they can clearly hold the phone to their ear. I am sure we can go on and on about rude, loud cell phone users as well.

People who are nosy have always GOTTEN to me. Yesterday, a coworker and I were having a conversation about another coworker (not a talking-shit-behind-her-back kinda conversation, but one we didn’t want her to hear). The subject of conversation enters the room and asks what we were talking about. Mind you, our conversation had met a natural pause when she stepped in, so it wasn’t like we had stopped abruptly. We had to come up with a lie to satisfy her nosy needs.

This same coworker will ask me why I wasn’t in my office the last time she checked. I cannot stand such nosiness.

People that can’t put the year stickers on their license plates properly. You are supposed to put the current sticker directly over the previous one. Once you have a 2004 sticker, nobody but nobody cares if you ever had a 2003 sticker. I’ve seen people use all four corners of the plate and then go up the middle. Looks like a collage once they’ve had the plate for six years.

A couple of years ago, my husband got a souvenir beer cup at a football game that listed all the pro football team names. I was washing it out and noticed the Bengal’s city was spelled, “Cincinnatti.”
I stood there at the sink having this little internal dialogue with myself.
“They spelled ‘Cincinnati’ wrong. There’s only one “T” at the end.”
“But it’s been professionally printed. They wouldn’t let something like that slip through. Maybe it’s right.”
“No, it’s wrong, two Ts is definitely wrong.”
“But it’s been professionally printed.”
“It’s wrong; I’m sure it’s wrong.”
“Maybe it’s right.”
“It’s soooo wrong. Some jackass just can’t spell.”
“How could something like that get printed on thousands of cups? Wouldn’t someone somewhere check it first? It must be right.”
“I know it’s wrong - it just looks wrong!”

It was making me so crazy, I finally had to stop washing the dishes and go look it up.

AAAARGH!!!

There’s a guy in the office next to me who has to shout “Bless you!” EVERY TIME I SNEEZE. And I sneeze a lot. I mean, not a LOT, but at least twice a day or so, and maybe four or five times if I really get going or, saints forfend, if I have a cold.

For crying out loud, if I’m not even in the SAME ROOM as you, you do not have to say “Bless you.” I absolve you of this responsibility with my magical etiquette wand. Bing! There you go. I mean, you aren’t supposed to eavesdrop on conversations I’m having in here even if you can hear them–there’s supposed to be a little pretend veil of privacy. So why are you eavesdropping on my sneezes?! (Maybe he’s annoyed with me because I sneeze so loud, so he thinks shouting “Bless you!” every time will encourage me to stifle them. Think again, buddy! I enjoy a good sneeze and I’m not about to muffle them. So there!)

Another thing that pisses me off for no good reason is that my husband has his computer set up (or maybe this is the default for WinXP, I don’t know) so that a single click launches an application from a shortcut on the desktop. Well, every damn computer I’ve ever used in my life requires a double-click to launch from an icon, so I always end up launching two windows of Explorer, or I try to launch Quicken and get one window of Quicken plus an annoying little dialog window saying that another user is already using this file or application or some crap like that. Dammit!

You, Bob, are my soulmate. I think the only thing worse is when these hapless victims can’t seem to figure out which sticker goes on which side. So they put the year where the month should be, and vice versa. Gah! It’s right there on the paper the stickers are attached to!

Standing behind old ladies in the check-out line is definitely the worst. Yesterday I stopped to get some get-well presents for my dad, who’s in the hospital, and I was in a bit of a hurry. I got in line behind this lady with a whole cart full of merchandise, and she was paying for little groups of items separately. Then she would have the check-out lady scan some items to see if they were 25 percent off, then when they weren’t she didn’t want them anymore. I wanted to strangle her, I really did. I will say that being in front of an old lady is almost as bad. I was in the supermarket with my mom one day and I was standing with her in the check-out. This old lady, with only a box of Toaster Strudel in her cart, kept pushing the cart up against the backs of my legs. I kept trying to move up, and she kept moving the cart closer. I don’t go to that supermarket anymore.

I’m sick of having to tell the same people over and over NOT to bring food into the library! We really shouldn’t be encouraging the cockroaches, folks!

Patty

I have two:

1 - Most of our larger train stations have automatic ticket gates. You stick your magnetic stripe ticket in the front, it pops up at the top, you pull it out of the machine, the gates open and you go. Most people can do this without slowing down too much. I hate, hate, HATE the people who, having walked the entire length of the platform and joined a queue only realize they need their ticket when they arrive at the front of the line. This is followed by much rifling through handbags, all the while holding up the rest of the line, because the machine configuration does not allow for much room to pass on either side.

I said handbags, and handbags I meant. I’ve yet to see this act perpetrated by anyone who was not female. I’m not saying it’s the exclusive domain of women, but in my experiences it’s always females.

2 - The other week, one of our directors walked into the lunch area, saw that the microwave oven was on, with someone’s lunch spinning around on the tray, and asked quite loudly “Is someone using this microwave?”.

Captain halitosis, our local courier, due to his extremely rancid breath that smells like a mix of cat piss, maggot spew and cigarette butts.
Captain halitosis’s dog, because it pisses on my car tyres everyday…friggin mutt.
Local power supply, blackouts a couple of times per week with the resulting restart of 9 computers.
Fingerprints on computer screens, it’s not a touch screen, no matter how many times you prod your greasy little fingers at the screen you still have to use the mouse.

Assprints on my DESK! Gawd I hate that! People who walk up to your cube, push your papers over to the side and plop their fat asses on your desk. It just drives me CRAZY.

Whiners-People who complain continiously about things you (and they) can do nothing about.

Overly Politically Correct People-the ones who go through life with a pole up their ass and their nose in the air making sure no one says ANYTHING even remotely offensive to ANYONE.

Grown-ups who think their kids are made of glass-These are the same people who put mats under the jungle gym and made all kids wear helmets and kneepads to ride their bicycles. They got scabs on their knees and fell out of a tree once in a while when they were little, but got forbid their kids should have any fun. Wrap the little buggers in bubblewrap! How many kids did you know growing up who died on the playground? I don’t remember ANY!

Crowders-These are the folks who crawl up your back when your standing at the ATM, or in the check out line. Usually its women, and I guess they don’t think they are being a threat, but I always want to just jab them in the solarplexis with a well placed elbow “GET off my Back!”

People who bring their small children to your house, then just let them run around unsupervised. “Oh sure little Bobby, go play with the guard dog confined to the kitchen, he won’t mind you pulling his ears and staring into his eyes, and play with the stuff under the sink while your at it” And then when you say, “you know, that dog in there could eat that kid, you might want to watch him” They act all huffy. Grrrrrrr… makes me want to bite someone.

Alumni of College X license plate frames/window stickers.

Listen up Captain Dunderhead, alumni is plural. You, my poorly educated friend, are an alumnus if your shirt buttons are on the right, and an alumna if your shirt buttons are on the left. If, and only if, there are two (or more) graduates of said College X in your household are you allowed to fly the Alumni flag.

This drives me crazy. And it really isn’t so much that people put them on their vehicles but, rather, that institutes of higher learning continue to sell this ungrammatical crap!

A couple of summers ago, I was walking through a parking lot near Santa Barbara with a friend who knew of this particular pet peeve of mine. We saw a license plate frame which said "Alumna of ‘Prestigious Women’s College’ " on the top and “Alpha Chi Epsilon (or something)” along the bottom. I was ecstatic seeing how the term had been correctly used. My friend looked at the Greek letters on the bottom side of the license plate frame and said “That must have been the Classics sorority!”

Beat me to it, quiteman. I’m also aggrieved when someone waits till they’re in the middle of the turn and then puts their turn signal on. Yeah, I figured that’s what you were doing, but thanks for the heads up!