Truly stupid things that annoy the hell out of you

People saying “HIV virus”. What do you think the “V” stands for?

I live on the 8th floor of my dorm. We have two elevators on this side. Now, ususally I use the stairs, because it makes me feel like I’m being less lazy or something. However, on occasion, I actually make use of the elevators.

Nothing bugs me more than people who get on the elevator at, say, the 6th floor to go up to the 8th, or the 1st to go to the 3rd. There are stairs all over the place, peopel! Use them! It’s like two floors!

The other day I was taking the elevator from the basement up to my room, and someone got on at the first floor to get off at the 3rd. She said “OMG! I’m using the elevator to go up two floors! I’m so bad!” Lord.

I know, it’s stupid, but it bugs me.

One from today - stores that only sell items in multi-unit packages. I need a 2mm Allen key. Home Depot, Lowes and an auto parts store only sell packages of 7+ different size keys in a “set”. Not only do I not need the others, I’ve already got many of them. It’s only $5, but I refuse to pay for things I don’t need. Mind you, if I strike out at Ace, I may have no alternative.

Similarly:

[ul][li] “ATM machine.” The M stands for machine![/li][li] The title of the TV show “Navy NCIS,” same thing. NCIS stands for Naval Criminal Investigative Service, for crying out loud![/ul][/li]
Any redundancies of this type just drive me nuts.

Okay, I like bitching, so here we go:

People that presume to know how you think or feel when they are completely off-base. I have a friend who does this, and is so horribly wrong every time that I wonder if this person is delusional.

People that stand very close to me. I want to talk to a person with a body, not just a face hovering inches from my face.

Adults who have stuffed-animal/cutesy cartoon animal collections that they take to work, stuff their cars with, wear.

Buttons on the front of dresses. Pants pulled up to boobs, or so low the wearer has to waddle. Fake athletic logos on clothing.

People with very badly done body piercing who think it’s well done and healed.

People who get on elevators while having a loud cellphone conversation.

People who have long, loud cellphone conversations on buses.

Actually, cellphone just annoy me in general, but those two are the worst.

Crying babies.

Since reading this thread, I am irritated because now I spend an inordinate amount of time calibrating my windshield wiper speed to the corresponding barrage of rain. :frowning:

Thanks, hon!

1. ATM Machine.

2. Pin Number.

3. Singers/sport figures who think they can act (Jennifer Lopez, The Rock)

4. Sylvester Stalone

5. People who pace me, no matter what, when I have my turn signal on to get on the highway. I’ve been blocked on frontage roads in Tx before because the [censored] couldn’t stop being a prick.

6. People behind me that, when I have my turn signal on, get into the other lane before I have clearance and speed up so they’re beside me.

7. People who honk. Unless I’ve fallen asleep at a stoplight, I need no honkers to let me know that the light JUST turned green.

8. People who ask me if my piercing hurt. No, getting a 14g needle shoved through my lip/tongue/nipple/etc felt good. Jesus. I ask, “How badly did that hurt.” Completely different question.

9. People who get pierced, and only keep it for a few months, at most. Because it was in style that spring, or you wanted to look good at the beach. Well, now you’re permanantly scarred, fucko.

10. People who get only one side of their lip pierced. GOD it looks horrid.

11. People who ask what color my hair is. Jesus, I think it’s pretty obvious. Blue and purple.

12. In movies, when people get wet and are miraculously dry a minute later.

13. In movies where it’s cold, but you see no breath fog.

14. People who ask “Are you Irish?” or “Do you like Notre Dame?” or “Is that your real name?” when they hear my name (my last name is Irish, and I go by it).

15. People with really long labret studs or huge nostril rings. They come smaller, you know.

16. People who get their nostrils pierced in 20g. If you’re going to get a facial piercing, get one big enough for people to see it. Yeesh.

17. People who buy Green Iguanas or Burmese Pythons without realizing just how FUCKING HUGE a 6’ lizard or 20’ snake is. People, what you see in the petstore is a BABY. They get HUGE. Do some research! I’m tired of seeing them in adoption/rehab centers.

18. Speaking of snakes, people who think a snake will only get as big as the cage it’s in. Dude, it’s not a fish. A 15’ snake will get 15’, even if you keep it in a 20 gallon aquarium.

19. SUVs. WHY do you need an SUV in the city? HUH? Or a Hummer? It’s a highway, not a mountain.

20. People who buy trucks, but will NEVER ever haul anything in it. Just to drive around the city and put groceries in.

21. People who pull waaaaaaay up to turn left when I’m trying to turn right beside them. Thanks, now I can’t see anything but your monstrosity of a van.

Man, a lot of things annoy me. Thanks for letting me vent, hehe. There are more, but I figured I should stop here.

Flamethrowers are cool, tho.

The fact that dolphins are really smart. For some reason that totally bugs me; it’s like they’re making fun of us behind our backs or something.

That’s pretty damn stupid.

I think we should just shoot anyone over age 55, because that’s the time you start to slow down; can’t drive as fast, can’t think as fast, just get in everyone’s way. Useless.

People who don’t get that those little archways that you walk through at the airport, courthouse or what ever are called METAL DETECTORS! THIS MEANS TAKE THE FUCKING CHANGE, CAR KEYS AND WHAT EVER ELSE YOU MIGHT HAVE AND PUT IT IN THE FUCKING BASKET! How hard is that?

OOO… wait a minute I got them all beat:
Stubing your toe on a piece of furniture annoying

Stubing your toe on a piece of furniture then directly after that having your SO say to you in a seemingly patronizing way “Honey, be carefull!” beyond annoying1
You should be allowed to kill some one after that.

While I don’t get AnimistDragon’s things about piercings (personally I dislike seeing facial piercings on anyone that’s serving food or drink) I was reminded of my pet peeve - movie & TV continuity.

I’ve had entire movies ruined for me because a tear rolling down a cheek dried up between camera switches, then reappeared in a slightly different place.
And I always notice footprints in the snow/sand showing evidence of previous takes, and tire skid marks showing how many times the stunt car has already been around that corner…

More annoying that that is probably having to sit next to someone like me pointing out shit like this - saying “Did you see that? Her hair was loose in the previous shot, now it’s tied up again!”

People who make jokes that rely on cocktails with obscene names. Seriously, how much comic value is there in saying ‘Bartender, bring me an Orgasm’? I know these people are usually pissed, but even so, it seems to me to be getting out of hand.

People who send me gigantic emails, especially when the size is so totally unnecessary (“Here’s a black-and-white image - I thought it’d be best if I copied it out by hand, scanned it in full colour, then sent it to you as a bitmap!”).

Having said all that, often people who do the above things aren’t really bad people, and are often good friends of mine. I usually get over it pretty quickly. I can’t help but feel that pet-peeve threads such as this one bring out a lot of angry people. :stuck_out_tongue:

~ Isaac:

I’ll add a few to my first list:
[ul]
[li]“My child is an Honor Student (or Student of the Month) at _____ School” bumper stickers. Who gives a shit, really?[/li][li]Advertisements on TV (which, in and of themselves are annoying) in which a movie is said to be available on DVD or video. Pssst, it’s VHS, people! Disney seems to be the worst offender with this one.[/li][li]Web sites with flash-animation ads. Regular pop-ups are annoying enough, especially when they manage to get past my pop-up blocker (grrrr!). The flash ads are the worst as they usually make some obnoxious attention-getting noise. The morons who make these ads don’t even realize that I’m not paying attention to the ad. While it’s playing, all I’m trying to do is figure out where to click on it so I can get the damn thing off my screen. By the time I’ve located the area to click on to close it, the ad has already played. I’ll avoid any web site that regularly uses these ads.[/li][/ul]

I don’t know if this is stupid or annoying or what really, but it bugs me.

I hate those shorts meant for girls (not women) with something written on the butt portion of the shorts. I actually saw a 9 year old (or so) wearing a pair that said “Daddy’s Girl” on the ass. It just seemed wrong. Do you really think advertising your little girl’s ass is a good idea?

:::shudder:::

I hate it when reporters talk about 200 people being evacuated. You can evacuate a city, or a building, but evacuating 200 people will take quite a bit of Ex-Lax.

Being a student and public transit user, I agree with everything cowgirl said. Especially the backpacks - you’re knocking innocent people out as you swing around like an idiot!! Take it OFF! I usually bump into the backpacks, or tug on them, to give them a hint that maybe their bag is coming into contact with something and isn’t protected by a little bubble behind them.

More troubles with public transit: it really irritates me when people try to get through the full-fare turnstiles with their student cards, even though it’s written in 2-foot letters above the turnstiles that they have to go around to the other side. People will swipe the card and get that big red “X”, and then try again, and again, and then move on to the next turnstile to start over. I often tell them (especially those who look very confused - maybe they don’t read French) that they’ll have to go around, but they just look at me a second and then return to their useless swiping. I don’t get it.

People who come try to open a locked door after they’ve JUST seen someone else push and pull at it to no avail. Or who read the store’s opening hours on the door, check their watch and see that they’re too early (or late) and then try the door anyway.

People who shuffle their feet. That’s aimed mostly at the younger crowd who wear giant shoes that are probably too heavy for them to actually lift, and so they shuffle-shuffle their way down the street.

People that name their houses. I mean for Gods sake what the hell is wrong with a number? why call your house “Elephants Droppings” or “Pigs Fart Corner”

The one that really bugs me is “Ye Olde Coach House” when the sodding house was only built last year