Trump having trouble finding lawyer

Yep, his great “Stop the Steal” con. He can get the money, but will anyone competent take it?

Yeah, according to a poll article i read, only something like 45% of Republicans want him to run again.

I’m pretty sure that the major factor here, at least among the kinds of big-name lawyers and firms that Trump would want to recruit, is damage to their hard-earned reputations. Most of the other potential factors can be managed, but being known for representing a clownish con man puts you in the same league as Rudy Giuliani and Sidney Powell.

And potentially in the same orange jumpsuits as Giuliani and Powell.

Now that’s a law firm advertisement I’d pay money to watch.

He doesn’t need a criminal lawyer; he needs a criminal lawyer.

He has those, but unfortunately lawyers who are criminals aren’t allowed to practice. AIUI, Giuliani’s law license has been suspended in New York and it appears that due to reciprocal arrangements with other states may not be able to practice anywhere else, either. Powell has been sanctioned and disciplined and may yet be disbarred. Sometimes, life can be hard for a con-man and his lawyers.

Perhaps a judge could have the law firm of Ben Dover and Takette assigned to take his case.

And expensive.

Given how much money there is in representing the MAGA crowd and assorted hangers-on and wannabees, there have been plenty of lawyers willing to take that on at the (snerk) risk to their reputations.

“In total, at least 16 lawyers who represented plaintiffs in five federal lawsuits promoting Trump’s baseless election fraud claims in the key battlegrounds of Michigan, Georgia, Wisconsin and Arizona remain in good standing or have no record of disciplinary action with their respective bar associations or licensing authorities, according to a POLITICO review.”

“Fourteen of them have since engaged in additional work in support of the election fraud conspiracies or conspiracists behind Trump’s attempt to remain in power despite losing the election to President Joe Biden. These include defending accused Jan. 6 rioters, consulting for partisan election “audits” or partaking in advocacy or legal cases sowing doubts about the integrity of the nation’s elections, POLITICO found.”

If it comes down to defending Trump against serious criminal charges, he should be able to amass a formidable legal team, especially if they can get sizable retainers up front.

My dream scenario is that lawyers’ attempts to talk sense into him piss him off to the point where he insists on defending himself pro se. After all, he knows better than all those stupid eggheads…

“I know he can get the job, but can he do the job?”

Where is Saul Goodman when you need him?

Well, that’s the problem with having Trump as one’s employer. He infamously doesn’t pay the hired help, making vague promises of riches later. Then, when the outcome doesn’t meet his expectations, he stiffs them, citing “They didn’t do what I wanted them to do” as a reason for non-payment.

Thank you for this coffee-spewing hilarious montage! The hot air blown is seemingly endless.

@Jackmannii

Your key words are “sizeable retainers.”

It has been demonstrated over the years that much of Trump’s wealth is an illusion. His property values grow and shrink to suit his needs, and he regularly robs both Peter and Paul and stiffs John and James, so he can walk away with their money.

And he promises an answer next week.

A formidable legal team means shyrocketing billing hours. Trump could try to pay with deeds to properties, titles to vehicles, appraisals for Melania’s jewelry, tips on investments, access to overseas accounts, or any other flaky money soutce.

A formidable legal team would demand cash on the barrelhead, and a dirty sock to stuff in his mouth.

Otherwise, his legal team will consist of kids who have recently passed the Bar exam, who have bought the whole MAGA/BIG lie package, who will work round the clock to try to present Trump with brilliant legal arguments that should be carved on a mountaintop.

~VOW

Just like he did with ‘his’ generals.

He has cash rolling in by the truckload from his current primary grift namely extracting donations from his mailing list of gullible fools.

Speaking as someone with a couple of decades of experience running a legal practice, I very much doubt Trump’s difficulties with getting a lawyer are financial. If his reputation as a bad payer were the only problem there would be plenty of lawyers out there who would take him on. They’d just demand money up front, knowing they’d make plenty before he stiffed them a little on the final invoice.

I suspect his real problem is that he is now so toxic only the fringes of the profession will touch him. And he is savvy enough to know that they are lightweights.

Could a defense attorney just charge a big flat fee - say, $15 million - that he gets to collect regardless of case outcome, and is paid up front in cash - and then retire for life on that money, never practicing law again? Little concern to be had about reputation if you won’t be doing law again.

And it is surprising nobody wants him. You’d think that, out of the thousands of federal defense attorneys in America, at least 1% of them would ascribe to MAGA-ism.

A flat fee is permitted, but all fees must be “reasonable.” I suppose you could make a case that $15 million is a reasonable fee under the circumstances. Note: A fee contingent on the outcome is not permitted in criminal cases. (In jurisdictions I’m aware of, maybe there are exceptions), so it would have to be an hourly fee or a flat fee. All criminal lawyers I know who are not public defenders get a hefty retainer up front. As my old boss used to say “I’m your lawyer, not your banker.”