Trump is wasting taxpayer money sending superfluous letters to take credit for the stimulus payments

That’s hardly relevant. He’s the head of the Executive Branch. The buck stops there.

If it was a major disaster relief effort that he flubbed, you might have a point here.

Some people have said that it wouldn’t have happened if Hillary had been properly elected. I’m not so sure about that either. Viruses do not know politics.

What an incredible change of heart with no political motivation whatsoever!

:roll_eyes: x ∞

The only letter I’ve seen here is one for my daughter letting her know to look for her payment in the mail (as they couldn’t direct-deposit into a new bank account).

Nice Man-splanation, Manlob. Got one for this, too … ?

Federal stimulus checks for millions of Americans will be delayed by several days because President Donald Trump wanted his signature to be on them, the Washington Post reported late Tuesday. It will reportedly be the first time any president’s signature has appeared on checks to taxpayers.
Trump's signature to be on stimulus checks, delaying mailing process: report - MarketWatch

Psst: that post is a year old. Although it’s actually relevant to the revival of this thread.

We never received a letter, either then or now, for our direct-deposited stimulus payments.

It’s a gotcha-ya accusation of hypocrisy, because any tiny glitch in Biden’s administration is exactly the same as the grandiose credit-grabbing of the previous guy. Exactly the same, no differences at all.

I know, the subject matter makes that clear. But I had not seen it before and my pissed-off-ness was new! :wink:

Oh, it is exactly the same. They changed the dates, the title of the bill, and the signature. I don’t see a scintilla of a difference.

That leads me to believe that it was just simple laziness/efficiency at work. Higher-ups tell the people beneath them to send a new round of checks . People who actually do all the work, realize that some message needs to go with the check. Rather than taking the time to draft a new letter, they just update last years note, and get back to the back log of other things they need to deal with.

There is a big difference between taking immediate action to stop the presses in order make a meaningless grandiose attention grabbing gesture, vs not taking the effort to prevent making the same meaningless grandiose gesture.

Maybe Biden is a pathologically narcissistic sociopath, too, and we just never realized it until now. Do ya think?

Not having filed my income taxes in the last 2 years, I received no stimulus money. But certainly did receive a letter from Trump bragging about the money “he” was making available to me.
I have since straightend away my tax situation, and will benefit from the stimulus dollars. But it’s no secret that Trump and his dumb signature hoped to influence dumb voters with his bullshit letter.

It’s a bureaucracy - the procedure for sending out stimulus checks was put in place by the previous administration, and included the requirement to include a letter with the president’s signature. Said procedure was followed. Possibly it should have occurred to someone to check if Joe wanted the procedure followed, but it apparently didn’t. Conceivably, changing the procedure could have delayed things (much as the original requirement did).

Your best bet, considering your reputation 'round these parts, is that if you want people to be convinced about a position you should shut the fuck up about it and stay the fuck away from it. If I were a Republican I would wish you are a Democrat, as convincing as your arguments aren’t.

I guess it’s a problem only when republicans do it. We spent 40 posts talking about what an ass Trump is for doing it and we’ll spend another 40 making excuses for Biden. I greatly respect Biden and loathe Trump but the actions of their administrations are pretty similar here.

I don’t care. It doesn’t matter. There’s a difference between the guy who takes the pandemic seriously, implements a vaccine distribution plan, encourages people to wear masks, and actually takes science seriously…and a guy who calls a virus a hoax and says in a televised presser that people can inject themselves with bleach.

Since this is the pit, I’ll try to tread lightly, but take your ‘both sides’ and…put it in the waste bin.

I’m not sure why it’s always an all-or-nothing. In this case it is both sides. Let’s just admit it and move on. We look silly trying to defend what we just spent 40 posts decrying. As you rightly point out it’s nowhere near as important as a lot of other policies.

Overall there’s little comparison between Biden and Trump but sometimes there are.

Because the stakes are that high. The stakes are that high when one party deliberately encourages its members to reject legitimate election results.

Get rid of Dems and Fartsocks Republicans. I’m all for Labour Party. Or the Whigs. :grin:

Yep, it’s hands-down 100% the worst thing Biden’s “done” as president. I put “done” in quotes because, as others have mentioned, since this is the “same letter,” it’s likely a piece of bureaucracy still in place from the piece of garbage who actually put it in place to feed his widdle cheeto-dicked ego.

That being said, if Biden “does” a thousand things that are even twice as bad as this over the next three and a half years, it still won’t hold a candle to the crimes and malfeasances of the last guy.