'Try-hard' songs and albums

Really? I’m not a fan of prog rock at all, but that’s one of the genre’s albums I think is great. It could be influenced by the fact that one bar I went to would play it start to finish half the times (or so it seemed like) when I was there, and maybe I’ve just become so familiar with it. But does it have that reputation? Even heard the title track on the radio the other day and had to turn it up!

That’s my perception (here in the UK - we may have a different take on it over here).

j

That would not be surprising. Was other Genesis warmly viewed? Or King Crimson? IOW, is it that album, or prog rock in general?

I think the first couple of albums were much loved - I can still listen to Nursery Cryme with great pleasure (well, most of it); but by the mid '70’s prog rock was a pretty easy target for us youngsters.

Re: King Crimson - I was too young. I was listening to Bowie or Roxy Music, along with my peers.

j

ETA: and I think prog (some? most?) is low hanging fruit for this thread. (Guilty as charged.) Weird, shifting time signatures, twelve minute songs, etc etc - trying too hard. YMMV.

I would say every album by The Killers after Hot Fuss. Their first (and widely considered best album) was a solid early-2000s indie pop classic. But later albums like Sam’s Town and Battle Born, while not bad, do seem like the band swinging for the fences to be a sort of “Vegas Bruce Springsteen” and not quite hitting it out of the park.

And the song Axl played at Lisa-Marie Presley’s funeral this weekend.

Also, I nominate “Blue Moves” by Elton John, a double album of most forgettable music from the mid 70’s. “Sorry Seems to Be the Hardest Word” is great, but the rest of the tracks are decidedly not hits. Interesting yes, but not particularly memorable and not hits.

I had never been a fan of the Killers (I loathe “Mr. Brightside,” for instance), but I actually enjoyed Imploding the Mirage and, to a lesser extent, Pressure Machine quite a bit. But I definitely get that “Vegas Springsteen” vibe you’re talking about, especially with the latter.