Turbo? Supercharge? Cold Air Intake? Leave it well enough alone?

OK, I dropped in a K&N hi-flo filter and…

Well, the car runs pretty much like it did before. No real difference that I can tell. Oh well.

I agree with almost all of your post. On my particular truck however there was miles of tubing that was part of the intake system that was actually a drag on the engine. Acceleration wasn’t as crisp as the air had to travel further and in no way straight before reaching the MAS, and ultimately the ports themselves. I ended up taking out half a dozen peices of plastic tubing that were part of the stock intake, some of which are shown below and replaced them all with two straight plastic tubes with a silicon sleve between the two. You can check out some of the before and after pictures here NissanOffroad.net, click on “How To Guides”, Frontier/Xterra, Airbox modification or K&N.

Note: I am in no way affiliated with this site at all, its just one I frequent when having problems with my vehicle.

OK, maybe I spoke too soon. The old Alero does seem to have a little more pep, which is especially noticable when accelerating from 30-50 mph; at the very least the engine response seems smoother or more consistent. Maybe it’s just a placebo effect, I guess. Unfortunately I didn’t test the Alero’s acceleration times prior to the installation of the K&N filter, so I can’t prove that performance has improved. It sure feels like there’s at least a slight improvement.