TV antenna question, what do I need?

Have you thought about streaming TV over the internet? My Wife and I do this and will never look back.

Well, for where we live, we really have no choice. And everything is over satellite.

Are all OTA digital channels considered High Definition?

Also, I’ve heard that OTA HiDef are superior in quality than streaming HiDef due to compression imposed on streaming. True?
If true, is the quality improvement noticeable enough to buy a decent antenna and try for some OTA channels?

This site lists them as VHF, which I took as accurate.
Should I not? DTV Reception Maps | Federal Communications Commission

They can be, but don’t have to be. OTA Channels have sub channels. Multiple channels to watch on the same channel, so instead channel 6 its now 6.1, 6.2, 6.3 etc each with their own show. Bandwidth can be split up to accommodate the needs of the station and I often see the main one in HD and 2 other sub channels in SD, or sometimes all SD, though for a major event, such as sports, they sometimes will remove their sub channels and go to the max on HD and as I understand it it can be superior to typical streaming HD, though streaming can be very good with enough bandwidth.

That’s what we mainly do but we lack local channels and would like the option of adding OTA. My son is also huge into football and I’m a bit into it too and NFL streaming is a big steaming stinking pile of fuckin’ mess requiring multiple subscriptions from every provider it seems and never knowing how one will get the game, which many are on OTA TV.

Oh, I understand @kanicbird. And it’s hard to manage subscriptions. That’s how they get ya. Wife and I are not into sports, and don’t watch that much TV, still, when you do, you do. “Oh, It’s only $5.99 a month”

also make sure your antenna is apt for CoLor TeLeviSioN

Thank you all, I went with a $40 el-cheapo one from Amazon which has surpasses my expectations as not only do I get every channel on the list, but 1 additional I didn’t know about and was not on that list. Since this was a experiment I didn’t want to go for the above mentioned channel master or other quality ones, though now that I know I can get this good reception, if the el-cheapo one fails I might consider that next.

Yes, I asked and the vendor assured me that I got the upgrade chip with the color disgromificator included :wink:

Absolutely.

Which one was that, please?

Sorry, I should have said.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01MYMVPVX?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1

just make sure it follows the V6.5 protocol and has the latest de-interlacing circuit update flashed

Note that the v6.5 protocol has been known to drain the flux capacitor.

You need to add a turboencabulator to avoid that.