TV couplings: He/she is so wrong for you!!

Well, similarly, Carrie and Doug on ‘King of Queens’ - not that he was threatening, but he was such a manipulative dumb ass…she’s always surprised and irritated when he does something stupid. Every other show, she shrieks 'I can’t BELIEVE you did ________(fill in the blank). Really? :rolleyes:

Chelsea and Charlie on ‘Two and a Half Men’ - what, oh what, did she see in him? I was relieved when the wedding fell through.

No way. Gotta be a Marine in his dress blues! :slight_smile:

Which is what I said.

Well. . . he should never have married her in my opinion. She was an evil harpy that plagued his life. I kept wishing he would kill her frankly. That’s should have been the finale!

You got that right. Almost makes me want to become an actor.

Mark Greene and Elizabeth Corday on ER.

That made sense, while she is prettier by human standards; he’s a huge movie star/comedian with his own movie series.

And what Jessica said: “He makes me laugh.”

ok. he was a real catch, she didn’t appreciate him, sure… :rolleyes:

Hey, this actually works sometimes. :wink:

I don’t find Doug similar to Ralph at all. Well, except for being a fat slob with a hot wife, that is. I never understood why Ralph threatening to beat his wife each and every week was laughed at and dismissed so readily. Maybe because when it was on during the 70’s in re-runs I was a pre-teen with a beloved aunt whose husband beat on her frequently, I found Ralph a scary villain.

Another doomed relationship: Gidget and Moondoggie from the “Gidget” TV series. We are supposed to buy that Moondoggie, a handsome guy going to Princeton is deeply in love with a girl who:
Is only 15(!)
Has only known him for two months
Is freely allowed to date any guy she wants
Lives in Los Angeles
I hate to break this to you Gidget, but you’re his beard not his girlfriend.

Watching that show through the lens of 2020 is certainly cringe worthy.

But I would argue, that at the time the show came out, it was rather progressive. Alice clearly wasn’t afraid of Ralph. Her sharp wit and cynic retorts were proof of that.

And she was clearly the one calling the shots in that relationship. Even if by manipulative means.

However, the original Alice, played by Pert Kelton in the skits on The Jackie Gleason Show that were spun off as the series, was quite the battle-axe herself. Ralph wasn’t quite as fat, so they were a closer match, and both characters were much nastier. (Audrey Meadow took over the role because Kelton was blacklisted, even though she wasn’t physically suitable for the role as originally conceived.)

Of course, Alice knew that Ralph’s threats were completely empty and wasn’t frightened of him in the least. She was a bit of a bitch herself, fat-shaming and belittling Ralph at every opportunity, even when he wasn’t being a jerk.

Chandler and Janice from Friends.

The only person who thought they made a good couple was Janice.

I stopped watching “Arrow” when they killed off Laurel in season 4, but I’ve since learned that Katie Cassidy didn’t really leave the show (:confused:) and have been rewatching it from the beginning over the past few months, and I’m right about where I left off now. And again, I really don’t get Oliver/Felicity. I like both characters, but…

In what universe was Debra an evil harpy? Did you watch the same show as everyone else?

That’s probably why she wound up joining the convent.

Also, FWIW, Steve Allen got the hotter sister…