TV record offers you can't forget (even if you try)

Okay, I only saw this once, and nobody will ever believe me about it. I actually own the CD, but I bought it in a store and therefore did not get the bumper sticker.

This is the gist, although I don’t remember the exact phrasing. Trust me, I’m not exaggerating.

"Are you lonely? Do you wish people would hang out with you? We have the answer…

MONSTER BOOTY!"

It included such great booty hits as “Doin’ The Butt”, “Daisy Dukes”, “I Like to Move It”, “Tic Tac Toe” (my favorite), and “I Like Big Butts”. AND, if you ordered it from the commercial, you got a bumper sticker that said, “I Brake for Monster Booty”.

Don’t act like you wouldn’t put that on your car.

I own the CD. I need to figure out where I lost it, because I have to admit I love it.

I would if I had it without paying for it. Heck, I almost put on a free bumper sticker that came from some insurance company, not mine but I forget from who, that says “Please don’t hit me. I’m not 100% sure about my coverage.”

They’re still at it. The two which I find most odious is the one which starts off with that Golden Earring song (Oooka shaka oooka shaka oooh! oooh! oooh!) which I last remember hearing about a year ago, and the Christian rock one which I last heard last month. The latter ones never heard of metaphors, similies, and other such clever ways to indirectly couch their creeds I guess.

I have fond memories of those commercials of my youth in the 70’s. The two I remember best were the albums of Truck Driving Songs made popular when drivers were the “in hero” of America popularized by CW McCall’s Convoy.

The other was an Album of Polka songs that made it seem like this was the best music in human history. I can still see the pictures on the screen of old people in ridiculous costumes dancing the polkas and hear the narration. “Includes the Beer Barrel Polka!!!” and featuring the great Gene Jershinertski…oh my God not Gene Jershinertski.

New from K-Tel, not available in stores operators are standing by.

Another vote for Freedom Rock. God, what a hideously annoying commercial that was.

The “ooka shaka ooka shaka” song isn’t Golden Earring; it’s Blue Swede’s mangling of “Hooked on a Feeling”

I always loved the artists that claimed to have “sold more records than the Beatles!”, including the aforementioned Slim Whitman.

I remember a pianist named Richard Clayderman making a similar claim back in the 70s with his classical-style renditions of popular songs.

And, for depressing, you couldn’t beat “Mrs. Jim Reeves” selling her late husband’s compilation album. I mean, it just screamed “My husband’s dead and I have no money. Please buy this album!”

Gospel? No one tops Cristy Lane. Her ads ran for a long time, to the point where, one day, they ran one with the same lip-synch clips as always, but at the end, Cristy herself appears and looks like her grandmother!

BTW, I was told years ago that John Lennon’s “Rock and Roll” album started out as a K-Tel compilation sold in England titled “John Lennon Sings the Great Rock ‘n’ Roll Hits”, or something like that. Can any of our Brit Dopers confirm this?

I seem to have a horrid vision of The Statler Brothers.

Is he that guy who yodeled?

This is the one I thought of when I read the OP, only I couldn’t remember his name, thank Og! :wink:

I remember Donna Fargo singing 4 seconds of “Funny Face” along with other ladies of country music.

GREAT HITS LIKE:

I NEVER PROMISED YOU A ROSE GARDEN

HARPER VALLEY PTA

JOLENE

DELTA DAWN

NO CHARGE

…AND MANY MORE!

Yeah. He’s the one who looked like John Waters dressed up as Tom Mix.

My God is an awesome God
He reigns from Heaven above…

Don’t feel bad – we all came here to say that.

I mainly remember those half hour to an hour long Time Life commercials for album sets. When I was in college, my roommate was drunk one night and, at 2:30am, realized that his life was a gaping void of blackness without the Time Life Ultimate 80’s collection. Two weeks later, he remembered that night when he received his set of ten CDs and invoice for $120.00

In this modern world of iTunes and bit torrents and satellite radio and all that, do they still have those commercials? I’m not usually up at 2:30am watching basic cable these days.

Quentin Tarintino, for one. He had a Zamfir tune in Kill Bill, when Hotori Honzo gives the Bride her sword. I give you Zamfir.

Yes they do! Bowser of Sha-na-na is the host of one of them. (Where’s the barf smiley?)

Oh, yeah. Those infomercials are still around. They’re hosted by people like Davy Jones and Bobby Rydell and involve endless loops of the same four-second clips and nonstop gushing by some Baby Boomer who can’t get over the fact that she’s on TV with one of her teenage idols.

Robin

Bowzer’s shill.

Remember the one featuring classical music. It was done like masterpiece theater with an older gentlemen saying “A Stranger in Paradise” was based on the Polovetsian Dance #3 by Borodin. It was also available on not 8 Track Tapes but 8 Track Tape, Cartridges, now that’s high class music.

My favorite current ad is for the Soft Rock Hits of the 70s, hosted by Graham Russell and Russell Hitchcock (Air Supply). They’re sitting in a fabulous house and they’re really excited to be shilling for Time Life. I still remember the first night we watched it–my sister laughed and said “Who are these old queens?”

The sad thing is that I’ve watched it so many times that I know the commercial regularly changes. They’re still selling the same, but some songs have been added over the years, and others have been taken out.

Peter Fonda shills for Time Life’s 60s Collection, and Glen Campbell is currently selling their Country collection. Also the guy from Styx sells 70s rock (though not Soft Rock!). I have to admit, I love these commercials.