TV Shows Only You Remember

I remember that one - Legends of the Superheroes lasted 2 episodes, was pretty cheesy, had Adam West and Burt Ward reprising Batman and Robin in 1979, and had a laugh track. It was cool to see live action superheroes though and some of the bits were funny to me at the time.

Captain Nice with William Daniels as the titular character, on NBC.

Mr Terrific on CBS.

A scientist, both brave and bold, set out to cure the common cold. He found instead this Power Pill, which he said most surely will turn a man into a lion, like an eagle he’ll be flying…

I remember enjoying Best Of The West.

The Jackie Thomas Show. Haven’t seen it since it aired on network TV but I remember it as being pretty funny.

I’m probably the only one who remembers the Canadian sitcom Excuse My French. I saw it when I lived in Montreal in the 70s. Typical mixed lovers sitcom, with an anglophone-francophone couple at the center. What I remember was the totally stereotypical French Canadian family.

Misfits of Science!

To be honest, I remember almost nothing about it besides the name and basic idea (I was 7 at the time, and I don’t think it got widely syndicated). And I’m sure it was utterly terrible, though probably no more so than other terrible mid-80s shows in that vaguely sci-fi vein that are fondly remembered, like Airwolf, Knight Rider, and MacGyver.

My late DH (Kopek on the board) and I Ioved that show, as stupid as it was. After years of waiting, it finally came out on DVD in early 2018 and I got it for him for his 60th birthday.

Here’s one: Friends and Lovers, a short-lived MTM sitcom about a classical bass player.

There was another series from back in the Friends era that was supposed to be a West Coast version of Friends and I thought it was pretty good but it came and went pretty quickly.

The New People.

Now what recent TV show reminds you of it?

Funny Face, with Sandy Duncan as the titular character. So far as I remember, it was a That Girl clone about a young woman (and aspiring actress?) on her own in the big city.

Other shows in the same vein back in the mid-70s were On Our Own and We’ll Get By. I remember these only from the titles (TV Guide made fun of them, saying they were “amorphous.”) Everybody thought the latter would be a smash hit because Alan Alda was the showrunner. It wasn’t.

I vaguely remember that one.

i remember that because the main character had a thing with Jennifer grey (who was playing herself) and a side plot was how she was unrecognizable these days due to her real life botched nose job … and wasnt the writer british to begin with?

I own the DVDs for Tenspeed and Brownshoe and Quark. I didn’t think they were that obscure.

Unlike stuff that’s not nor ever will turn up on DVD, like Run Buddy Run, On The Rocks, CPO Sharkey, Arnie, Police Surgeon, Dusty’s Trail, and the couple very short run NBC Mystery Movies like Cool Million, Snoop Sister, Hec Ramsey.

I used to watch a LOT of TV n=back in the 70s. :slight_smile:

Arnie! I remember having a crush on the actor that played his daughter. I was like, 13 at the time. IMDb says her name was Stephanie Steele.

It reminds me that J.J. Abrams has never had an original idea in his life. But I already knew that.

Stranger

I don’t think it was a “botched” nose job so much as a good nose job that significantly changed her appearance.

Jennifer Grey, before and after,

Hmmm…I prefer the after on a purely aesthetic view.

I don’t think it’s all that obscure - it’s something of a cult classic. I’d actually be a bit surprised if someone who was a sci-fi fan in the 80s didn’t remember it. Even outside of geekdom, I think there’s some awareness of it, if only because it was an early role for Courtney Cox.

I have vague memories of Courtney Cox as a teen telekinetic, a tall guy who could shrink to doll size, and Johnny B., the electrokinetic and Chuck Berry fan (my favorite character on the show). As well as the unpowered scientist who acted as team leader.

It was one of the earliest, maybe the earliest, live-action super-hero team shows, and was kind of a template for any number of shows that followed. It’s the earliest show I can think of that used the trope of the good-hearted scientist with no special abilities leading a team of powered individuals who were all trying to learn to control their powers.