Twinings changed Earl Grey tea - How do you feel?

Earl Grey isn’t my preferred taste, but change for the sake of change is rarely good when you have a classic.

For the record, I prefer raspberry sage tea when I can get it, and Bigelow English Teatime every time else.

Done! I have a walk in pantry. :slight_smile:

I am my no means an expert. Earl Grey is my first choice, and I prefer Twinings over Bigelow, but haven’t tried many others. By the time I get around to trying the new formula this thread will no doubt be on page four.

My response to simply reading the thread title was to whine (aloud though I am alone). What is wrong with leaving some things how they are?

When did they change it? I’ve always liked Twinings Earl Grey, but have gone off it in the past few months - I put it down to pregnancy, but could this be the real reason?

Individually wrapped bags != teabags.

I mean the likes of this:

http://www.lindacobrien.com/wp-content/uploads/buy%20twinings%20tea.jpg

Teabags should come in a big box, loosely scattered in said box. Like this:

http://www.thegreatbritishdiet.co.uk/Images/PGTips.jpg

I’ve tried PG Tips, and I have to say, I didn’t really care for it. Maybe the boxes I bought were stale. I dunno. I just prefer raspberry sage, or Bigelow.

Mind you, I love coffee, but it doesn’t agree with me, even decaf. So I drink lots of tea.

Target in Chicago carries Stash Double Bergamot Earl Grey.
I like it. I brew it strong, with milk and Splenda, and it keeps me going on my overnight job.
I’ve had the old familiar Twinings, and I prefer the stronger Stash.
David

I do not care for Earl Grey, regardless of the vendor. I like my tea to taste like tea, and tend towards English Breakfast or Yorkshire (recommended to me by my friend Professor Elemental).
On occasion I will have a souchong or oolong, for variety, but I do not like most flavoured teas or tisanes.

In my ever so 'umblist opinion Jackson’s of Piccadilly make the finest Earl Grey. Lord Grey apparently gave the recipe to the firm in 1830 and they claim to be continuing to make the original blend today.

Now don’t forget, only drink out of a bone-china cup and get Fortnum and Mason’s to deliver some of their super baby cakes, absolutely spiffing for tiffin…or of course, scones with damson jam and a dollop of clotted cream, What!

Earl Grey tea is special to me because of just a touch of bergamot. (Yes, I’m hoity-toity and drink it from a special Wedgwood china tea cup on a chilly fall afternoon. Cause it’s not just a mundane beverage.) I don’t see how adding more bergamot is going to make it better. I’ll try it, though. If it’s too bergamot-y, I can always brew a teabag along with a plain teabag to dilute the taste.

I use to drink their Earl Gray but it’s too Earl Gray for my tastes. I prefer their lapsang souchong tea for flavor. I find their tea bags work just fine for this type of tea and the individual packs hold flavor for a long time.

You hope you can do that - I’ve tasted some “Earl Grey” teas that were more bergamot than tea, like trying to swallow bad/cheap perfume. Ugh.

Haven’t tried the new stuff yet, but probably won’t care. I love flavored herbal [del]teas[/del] infusions, but with black teas, I generally prefer plain tea.

I’d like to be a connoisseur, but I find that, with enough cream and sugar, I can drink just about anything.

I like Twinings, but I’ve been drinking Stash teas lately. They have a nice Earl Grey.