Two Questions About Airports

Sometimes they change the code simply because it’s causing problems. Newark Airport was the first to serve New York City, and for many decades (into the 60’s, maybe even the 70’s) its code was “NYC”. But when enough “NYC” baggage started turning up at JFK, they surrendered and changed to “EWR”.

John W. Kennedy
“Compact is becoming contract; man only earns and pays.”
– Charles Williams

PunditLisa: Admittedly I only lived in Covington for one year but I did not notice an airport there. There probably is a small airport in Covington but the big one is not. Although I don’t remember the name of the actual location, it is much closer to Erlanger than to Covington. Yes, Kentucky gets the noise that Cincinnatians would prefer to do without. On the other hand, Cincinnatians reside in Cincinnati, to the relief and satisfaction of Kentuckians.

For what it’s worth: http://flyaow.com/aptcode.htm lists the currently assigned airport codes. They’re all (as far as I can see) three letters, Canada has almost all (but not all) 'Y’s and also most of the 'X’s.

1926 airports listed …

AWB - I don’t know for sure, but I would assume that the answer is yes considering they are from Toronto

“C’mon, it’s not even tomorrow yet…” - Rupert

If you need a graphic solution, http:\ alk.to\Piglet

The Columbia airport is located in Cayce which is where the CAE came from.

The airport in Knoxville is the McGhee-Tyson airport, hence TYS. Kansas City used to have Mid-Continent International (which is now the name of the airport in Wichita). New Orleans used to be called Moissaint Field. I don’t know BNA, but I would guess it was once B----, NAshville where B---- was the name of the airport.

“Drink your coffee! Remember, there are people sleeping in China.”

Dennis Matheson — dennis@mountaindiver.com
Hike, Dive, Ski, Climb — www.mountaindiver.com

IATA codification is THREE letters.

ICAO uses FOUR letters that work as identifiers.

LAX (IATA) = KLAX (ICAO)
MEX = MMMX
YYZ = CYYZ

ALL airports have both an ICAO an a IATA identifier. IATA is somewhat more popular, especially among passengers. ICAO is a little more “officially” used.

The KCI/MCI/MKC thing for Kansas City is a little confusing.

KCI is used almost universally by locals to refer to the airport (for example, it’s used in the weather reports). However, the IATA code KCI refers to Kon, Indonesia, which I had never heard of until just now when I looked it up.

MCI is the actual IATA code for the airport, used on your baggage routing tags and on your tickets. Most people in and around Kansas City do not use this term unless they also fly a lot.

MKC is the IATA code for the old “downtown” or “municipal” airport in Kansas City. I don’t know if there’s any regularly scheduled commercial service to that airport or not; I tried to search for flights to there on United’s web site and they listed flights to MCI instead.