Two questions about our (US) current tax system

w4:

You’re technically correct that it’s possible to avoid having part of your paycheck witheld, but this is for people who do not owe taxes and so receive all of their witholdings back as their refund. It isn’t a very common case nor an example that relates to the situation in the OP.

This is incorrect, at least according to the IRS (bolding mine):

Search the IRS website for the phrase “pay-as-you-go” for more information.

This effect is a natural result of the fact that taxes are collected through withholding on a pay-as-you-go type system, and the effect would utterly disappear if everyone simply wrote a check to the government with their tax return every April 15. Problem is that much of the tax revenue would go along with it as well.

Note that many people don’t experience this effect because we are self-employed and therefore write quarterly checks to the government (but we have to adjust the amount of the last check to true everything up for the year).

It is definitely 100% no-bullshit true that you can never make less money overall by earning more income (EXCEPT for rare cases where deductions or credits are phased out after certain income levels, but generally the phase-out is gradual).

HOWEVER, there’s definitely some voodoo in how withholding works, and I’ve never really fully dug into the meat of how it works to fully understand it. I think (but am not sure) that if one paycheck is for more than you made previously, then the withholding is done from that paycheck as if you make that much on each paycheck. So, when there’s a jump, there’s suddenly a large amount that “should have been” withheld previously, so that hole gets filled (and then gets un-filled when you get it all back as a refund). But I may be wrong here. I noticed this effect back in my employee days when my end-of-year bonus seemed to be withheld from at a much higher rate.

Nit Pick
you can not claim more dependents than you have. But you can increase the number of exemptions that you have by filling out a new W4 form.

I just looked at my last pay check and 12.2% went to fed taxes. Next pay check will have lots of over time and I am betting that it will be taxed at the 28% bracket. that is only the OT that is the only part that will end up in the higher tax bracket.

I use to adjust my exemptions to have a + or - of about $100 to $200. But with the changes in my investments each year is really different and hard to guess what it will become so I leave them alone.

If you have too little taken out and owe a large amount two years in a row you get fined and mightr have to do 1/4 instalments.

One of the reasons that people often think a pay increase reduced their take-home pay is that the increase in pay might be paid at a different time than the withholding is taken out.

For example, let’s say that your nice employer buys a $1,000 TV for every employee as a Christmas present. Tax law says that this is income, subject to all the same payroll taxes as your regular payroll check. However, there’s no way to withhold 7.65% of a TV so tax withholding comes out of the next paycheck. If the next check would normally be $2,000 of salary, the taxes for TV (let’s say 7.65% for FICA and 20% for income tax) will reduce your usual take-home pay from $2,000 to $1,747.

Many companies pay cash bonuses or even overtime on a separate check from regular payroll, leading to the same scenario.

It’s easy for someone who doesn’t really understand taxes to get confused by this. But I can’t stress enough that there is no reduction in take-home pay in the above example. It’s not a decrease of $2000 to $1,747; it’s an increase from $2,000 to $2,747.

Upon actually doing the calculations (with some made up numbers, since I don’t know the actual numbers involved), it appears you’re correct. She may have been mistaken or exaggerating (probably the former - she’s a nurse, not an accountant).

If she is mistaken, I would suggest that as supporting the perception of our tax code as being a bit complicated (since this is the easy math part of the whole thing).

Thanks for catching that, Quercus.

Heh - okay, you caught me, too. Reasons I avoided math in college…

:rolleyes:

That’s the point of my post. Unless you want to inform and update the IRS and your employers of everything you do throughout the year on a daily basis and are willing to constantly file forms for the IRS then making an accurate deduction from payroll is almost impossible because there are too many outside factors.

• How much you gave to charity.

• Status of dependents?

• All outside income.

• Bought or sold a house?

• Spouse’s income and employment status.

• Investment income. Short or long term?

• Do you qualify for energy conservation credits, etc.?

• and on and on and on.

If you want to update everyone, every day as to what you personal situation is, then have at it. Certainly, if all information was correct and constantly updated then a program could be written to bring your withholding to + or - zero. Good luck! Most of us will do our estimates, wait for our year-end statements and fill out our forms. Then we’ll see where it falls out, make our payment or file for our refund accordingly hoping that none of it raises a red flag with the IRS.

So yea, I guess the answer is “NO”.