Two questions about the British name "chips"...

Based on what I know of British food, I’m guessing either butter, vinegar or HP Sauce.

HP Sauce.

Or ketchup, too.

Like everything else, available on Amazon. I might have to try a bottle (but not on french fry sandwiches).

For as long as I can remember American restaurants that serve anything called ‘fish & chips’, even specialty fast food joints like LJS (or, going back further, Arthur Treacher’s Fish & Chips), the ‘chips’ are always just American french fires. Though not the thinnest of shoestring variety, usually somewhat thicker. I used to love Arthur Treacher’s, everything deep fried in 100% evil, artery clogging peanut oil*!*

Cecil on chips and French fries What’s the origin of French fries? - The Straight Dope

One thing which is typical of british chips, is that they are served with a heavy amount of salt and vinegar. So even if you get a similar type of product, in say Belgium, (where you may well get thicker cut chips than your typical french fry), you’ll won’t be getting any vinegar to go with them…

I’m not so sure what other foods typically use vinegar as a condiment. It is strong tasting and goes well with chips…

This site says that HP Sauce is essentially the same thing as A1 Steak Sauce. Kind of. Maybe.

A1 seems to be a more intense version of HP sauce- more sour and less sweet, but with a very similar taste profile otherwise.

Nah. Not really. Brown sauce is tarmarind sauce and is thicker. I see what you mean, they are similar, but not the same…

I have both sauces in the pantry. They aren’t the same. In the same family, but not the same sauce.

Stuffed in a Gyro of slow roasted pork sliced and served Plaka style stuffed with fries, tomatoes, onions and tzatziki.

The chip butty is one of the (IMO) odd sandwich combinations one encounters in the UK. See also the fish finger sandwich. And of course that staple of the British diet: beans on toast.

Peanut butter has gained currency in the UK, I’m happy to report, with or without jam. I have one British acquaintance who likes peanut butter and tomato sandwiches, which sounds distinctly unappealing to me. But many Brits enjoy PB&J.

Yeah, like H57 sauce, they arent quite the same, but you’d be hard pressed to tell them apart once put on a burger.

You can make a sauce that tastes a little the same by stirring worcestershire sauce into ketchup.

I’m American and not a fan of “shoestring” fries and do not think of them when I think of french fries, FWIW. I rarely eat lunch/dinner at any food places that serve them (for example, Steak n Shake). Five Guys would be the closest thing to a mass market version of what I think of as typical fries. Any time I’ve had “fish and chips,” it’s close to typical fried fish and french fries.

In the United States, these are all french fries. We don’t distinguish between fat ones and thin ones—some places serve fatter ones and some serve thinner ones, but we consider them basically the same thing.

You do sometimes see references to “shoestring” fries, but that’s only at some places that want to emphasize the thinness of their fries. We still don’t consider that materially different from any other kind of french fry.

I find Heinz 57 to be closer to HP, but still different. Heinz 57 does seem to contain tamarind (I don’t have a bottle of it handy, but an ingredient list I found does have it.) A1 I find much sharper and way more overpowering than either of these. (I could have sworn that had tamarind, too, in addition to the raisin paste that is the bulk of the fruitiness, but apparently, it does not.)

Didn’t know that.

In NZ potato chips come in at least 5 distinct forms as evidenced at my local supermarket, not a mile from this very door.

1. Crisps, but often just referred to as chips.

2. Chips - straight standard model, about as fat and long as a forefinger.

3. Crinkle-cut chips - as above but zig-zag sides. Cook slightly faster and were regarded as fancy when I were a lad. Larger surface area means they hold more fat/oil + salt = tastier.

4. Wedges usually with skin on to hold the shape. Very popular in bars and restaurants with sour cream and chilli sauce.

5. Shoestring chips - nice enough, not common really, only McDonalds and KFC serve them. Or buy a bag of frozen.

Here’s a manufacturer’s site: http://www.watties.co.nz/Our-Products/Frozen-Foods/Frozen-Potatoes

Coleslaw

I can’t say because I don’t like the stuff, but isn’t what the brits call peanut butter quite different from what the US call peanut butter? The US version being a lot sweeter? Does the US version have lumps in it (I think the uk one does)?