TX education board conservatives succeed in whitewashing history

Sure.

So it doesn’t exist?

Nobody said anything about “unfettered” free markets other than you. The quote in your OP says “…it thrives best absent excessive government intervention”. “Excessive” is the key word and the one you’re blowing right by.

Frankly, it looks to me like you’re more cranked that inaccurate or misleading leftie propaganda isn’t being taught, because the items you are complaining about in the OP are correct. You just don’t like them.

Please see the above.

The problem with this is that as goes Texas, so goes the nation, because Texas orders such a huge number of textbooks, the standards that they demand become the de facto standards for textbook publishers and so the 15 people elected by Texans, many of whom openly admit to a religiously based agenda for setting these standards, are making choices for the entirety of the nation.

Man. Why didn’t you go for an easier target with your little rant? I mean, pitting the Texas BOE is pretty extreme.

Props.

Not just Thomas Aquinas–John Calvin, too; from the Texas Freedom Network’s coverage:

Not that the older Thomas & the original Calvinist shouldn’t be mentioned–but why junk the entire Enlightenment? (Well, we know why.)

Alas, the schoolboard candidates end up on the end of the ballot. Many Texans* don’t pay much attention to those names–except, in recent years, the ones who have definite axes to grind. In the last primary, there were two Republicans running. (And no Democrats–need to do something about that.) The less radical Republican won; word is getting out about the nutcases getting on the board.

• Of course, every non-Texan out there can give me a full accounting of* their* school board election!

Quite right too. It should have said ‘was evident’.

Still, cite? Oh, and please define “excessive” while you’re at it.

We had someone from the textbook industry more or less debunk this recently (sorry, no time to search). Additionally, it looks like a bunch of states are about to sign on to a common curriculum (Texas and Alaska being the only two states that refused to even consider it - surprise) which will further alienate Texas.

I’m surprised to hear you say this, as you normally have some concern for proper process in addition to (what you believe to be) the correct result. My main objection to this whole thing is having a board of non-historians and non-educators deciding what should be put in history textbooks for openly partisan ends. Whether you like the result as a partisan or not, I would think you would have some reservations about the process.

For example:

First of all, giving due credit to Republicans really shouldn’t be the goal of US history, or paramount among the concerns of textbook editors. And second, of course it’s gonna surprise some students. That’s because of the historic realignment of the parties ever since 1964, with the national GOP using the Civil Rights Act as a bludgeon to win the South from the grasp of Democrats, a fact of which even high schoolers are often aware. I suppose the committee member also wants to see children giving modern Republicans credit for their historic support of infrastructure development.

If we’re going to have openly partisan committees deciding what to teach our kids, they should at least have the credentials to make informed decisions. Having a bunch of dentists and lawyers decide that Phyllis Schafly is more deserving of textbook space than Thomas Jefferson is asinine.

Someone better tell CNN.

In the context of a textbook for those first learning about these things, one would wonder why a sentence like that is even necessary. One could similarly say something like “societies function best when there is sufficient government support for the poor” or “excessive deregulation creates economic catastrophe.”

And why should they be taught that the U.S. is exceptional? That’s an opinion if I ever heard one. Unless they use exceptional to mean “having unique political, economic, and cultural traditions,” like every single other country.

Well, FWIW, I found the

[quote]
(http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showpost.php?p=12039599&postcount=5) I was thinking of:

Now, as to whether or not to inform CNN, why bother? They want the scare quote, not an accurate summation of the situation. One of the reasons why modern news is becoming worthless on anything more nuanced than “a tornado hit such-and-such”.

The part that I find most disturbing is teaching about 'the decline in value of the US dollar and the abandonment of the gold standard."

No high school student knows enough economics to be able to understand any arguments for or against a gold standard, much less the relative value of a nation’s currency and the advantages/disadvantages of a ‘strong’ dollar.

This is far right wing crap right off the Glenn Beck show.

Kids that age are capable of dealing with algebra, trig, geometry, physics, biology and science. As long as they are schooled in a basic way on the various factors that come into play, I see no reason why they can’t get a good rudimentary grasp on economics as well (and for the average student that knowledge would likely serve them better in life than most of those other subjects anyway).

The gold standard is only about a page or so in my introductory college economics text. Outside of Peter Schiff and right wing goldbugs, the gold standard really isn’t a topical issue in economics.

Bretton Woods and the Nixon abandonment of the gold standard weren’t really covered in detail until my first money and banking course in college.

I love my state.

But why did all the religious, whack-job loons have to move down here?

They want to acclimatize to their likely afterlife destination? :wink:

If there is no Bar-B-Q or pecan pie in Heaven, I see no good reason to bother with it.

A seperate, semester-long course in economics is required for graduation in TX. I teach the AP version, which is more or less divorced from the regular TEKS (basically, it says “follow the college board standards”, so I don’t really follow this stuff as closely as I should. That said, we certainly cover arguments for strong vs. weak dollars, and we touch upon the whole gold standard thing, and it always seems to be one of the easiest ideas for my kids to grasp. Honest to god, the frickin’ supply curve is harder for them to grasp than the implications of currency shifts.

Agreed on both counts. As reported, I have no problem with the standards, but if the intent was to forclose any mention of previous institutional racism, or to deny any attempt to consider the question, then it’s a different story.

So… does anyopne have a cite that would clear that up?