U.S. senators: are they as powerful as portrayed in the media?

sadly, you’re not helping me appear at all plugged into popular culture - who’s Chani?

By way of example, she made her own Catwoman costume and showed up during pre-production for Batman Returns to try to get Tim Burton to cast her.

ETA: Chani was the wife of sort-of-protagonist Paul Atreides in Frank Herbert’s Dune novels. The image in the link is Sean Young as Chani in the 1984 film adaptation of the first novel.

Thank you for indulging my ignorance. One of these days I may acquire a patina of popular culture.

A quick consultation of Wikipedia might be useful.

I’ve just come back from there, actually. Searching “Sean Young” on wiki eventually led me to a discussion of Scott Baio’s politics. I apologise if I’ve derailed this thread.

Well I must say that I am surprised that you could not get US citizenship through your dad. Furthermore, while I understand that the US Court are (from a common wealth POV) ridiculously deferential to the executive, the decision to send a six year old back while allowing the family seems a textbook case of capricious and irrational use of power. Would the courts not have been easier?

She was in the movie. Dune, from the book by Frank Herbert.

I leave for five days and come back to make an entirely unnecessary reply. Sorry.

Uh oh. It’s catching.

She was also the model for the famous album art for Rio, by Duran Duran.

I could not get into the US to get the citizenship. They refused to acknowledge the legitimacy of my entry documents. So I was ordered removed from the country. This was in a US Immigration Court in New Jersey. My parents took the only option open to them that would keep our family together…to leave the USA and return to Italy.

Recall that my “dad” was not my biological father, as it turned out - he had adopted me. The original immigration court determined that the adoption papers were insufficient to let me enter the USA, but they were used later once my legal entry was arranged by the US senator’s actions.