Ubiquitous items from relatively recently youngsters may not recognise

I’m mostly streaming these days. Yeah, it eats up data, but what do I care? I’ve been on an unlimited data plan for several years.

I do store a fair amount of music on my phone for times like when I’m on an airplane or in an area of poor cell service. But I think my phone has 256gb of storage so I can jam a lot on there. I’m not very discriminating about it. I make sure any subscribed playlists are downloaded plus any recent stuff I’ve added. Before I go on a trip I make sure I load up a bunch of stuff I think I might want but it’s just a quick pass.

I can’t remember the last time I saw a car with vent windows — those little triangle windows you could crack open to get a breeze. I suppose ubiquitous car air conditioning did them in.

Good one, only my first car had them. A 14 year old Cuda.

This

is my go-to calculator. I’m an actuary. I sometimes want to use the built-in amortization functions.

I’m in the UK and were I only ever to drive here I probably wouldn’t bother but we drive to Austria every winter and in Germany and Austria it is a requirement to have snow tyres, your insurance is void if you have an accident without them fitted.

Around here, the condensed milk cans didn’t have the lip edge that the other kind of opener hooked onto, to give leverage for punching the hole. This kind of opener, which we used for things like large cans of apple juice, were much safer, and easier to control. It let you adjust the size of the opening. You’d have one large one for pouring, and smaller one on the opposite side of the can to let air in as you poured.

I’m almost 43, and a lot of the things people posted in this thread as items that were ubiquitous “relatively recently” are things that were obsolete before I was born. Punch cards? The only place I’ve ever seen 'em used was at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, CA. My mom had an old percolator in the back of the cabinet, but I don’t recall my parents ever using it (I have used one on camping trips as it’s the easiest way to make coffee on a camp stove, though).

I’m just a year older than you and I had one as a kid. I think they just weren’t as common as the person who posted them thinks they were.

Given that most younger people listen to podcasts and get their music through streaming sites these days, I wonder how many high school kids have ever actually used an FM radio.

They were in every gift shop, novelty store, and Spencer’s Gifts when I was a kid.

Heh. This was the key to making me feel ancient:

My first radio was a crystal radio set I ordered as a kit.

Not only wouldn’t younger people know what that was, but they’d probably go “Crystals: cool!” with a totally different mental image. (Or whatever the current fad word for “cool” is.)

You don’t remember the punch card/hanging chad issue during the 2000 Presidential election? It was all over the news. You may not have voted with punch cards in that election, but lots of people did, including here. In fact, we used them for vote-by-mail. Voting at home with punch cards was a trifle complicated and prone to error. It’s a good thing that that election spurred election authorities here in Oregon to change to simpler voting procedures.

I certainly remember hearing about it on the news, but I never personally used one nor saw one. I remember my reaction at the time upon hearing about it was along the lines of “What the hell? Why is Florida still using such an outdated technology for their elections?”

It’s faster to run a bunch of cards through a card reader than to scan a bunch of paper ballots.

I can’t begin to recall how many of those I rebuilt with new pads and new magnetic tape during my stint as a radio station engineer.

Anyone remember these? Your barber used them. Does anyone remember a real, old-school barber?

That’s what I do. My old Galaxy S10+ has 128GB on board, and I have a tiny 8GB SD card in it, plenty of room. I use mine as an iPod all the time. I think I have just about 30GB of music, plus all my photos & downloads, & I’m still only up to 38.1GB used in storage

Never seen such a device, and it looks like I wouldn’t want it anywhere near my scalp or face. Does it get hot, is it some kind of press?

Is that a Neck Massager?

It’s the 6 spring coils on the underneath that makes me think that.

My guess is that it’s a sharpener, for razor blades or scissors.

But even just the concept of “your barber”, I think, might put this beyond the range of “relatively recently”.

According to my husband it’s a hot lather machine - but I suspect that doesn’t really qualify as “relatively recently”.