Ubuntu, or something else?

Look at the bright side, at least you don’t have Vista in the mix.

You beat me to it. I haven’t done it yet, but the chances are pretty high that I’m going to buy my mother a used computer come the first of the year, and if I do, I’ll put Ubuntu on it for sure.

As to the second issue: do you have a firewall on your Windows machine? You may have to add the kubuntu box to the list of “allowed” computers.

The only downside I found with Ubuntu was getting wifi to work. The drivers were very limited and even when I finally got it going it was very unstable. This was about 6 months ago, so it may be better now.

This will be hard-wired, so the wifi issues (which are discussed in depth on the forums), won’t apply to me.

And just to follow up on my networking problems-
I finally ended up re-installing the Samba program and that worked great for me. Now I really can go back and forth on both computers, so it should work great for what I’m going to use it for.

I guess “most people” have too much time on their hands. If you actually expect to use your computer to do stuff, Ubuntu is fine. If you want maintaining your computer to be a hobby in and of itself, you may end up switching.

Ubuntu now powers Wikipedia:

This means that you aren’t going to grow out of Ubuntu. It isn’t just a beginner’s distro, though it fills that role admirably.

I also guess Jragon doesn’t know the Wikipedia people. :wink:

No, no, there’s plenty of room for the computer hobbyist in the Ubuntu land. :slight_smile: I’m a prime example: Ubuntu is more fun than Slackware because I can geek out about higher-level stuff, instead of having to edit config files by hand all the time. Being able to pull in O’Caml, Haskell, and Common Lisp with three commands is sweet.