UK Dopers: What Do You Think of These BBC Comedies?

Wot? No mention of Coupling?

Coupling has to work against the visceral revulsion that its American version induced in the populace, unfortunately.

I just wanted to harmonize with ddgryphon about As Time Goes By. When I was living in a tiny apartment in Minneapolis and watching my little 13" TV, one of the stations I got clearly was the Twin Cities area PBS station, and they were running the whole run of ATGB. I loved that show…it was, to my mind, exquisitely done. And it allows me to claim an “I saw her before she got big here in America” ego thing about Judi Dench… :slight_smile:

If you’re after British opinions, the most common one to Coupling will be “huh?” I’ve never seen it, never noticed it on the schedules, and wouldn’t recognise it if I turned on mid-programme.

Eh? It was very much admired among my circles. Perhaps you’re too much of a yokel, GorillaMan, to appreciate hip, happening, London comedy. . .

(although I have to say that I have never, ever seen a single episode of “The Office” myself, so I suppose it’s all a matter of luck rather than judgment.)

Clearly you’re right, seosamh, on all counts (and I don’t regard any of them to be a bad thing :wink: ) I’ve just looked up the Coupling BBC website, and nope, I don’t recognise it at all.

And the votes from this Scottish jury are:

Little Britain First series good then a dead horse got flogged - third series was rubbish.

The Catherine Tate Show Utter shite.

Goodness Gracious Me Mildly funny, not my cup of tea.

League of Gentlemen Never quite got it but a lot of mates love it, can see the appeal but think you need to watch it all in order to get all the in-jokes - which I never did.

The Mighty Boosh Never heard of it.

The Vicar of Dibley Formulaic with some good jokes, safe comedy.

Green Wing, Kath and Kim Never seen.

Keeping Up Appearances Can be surprisingly sharp at times, not that good but watchable in small doses.

Father Ted, Black Books Both bordering comedy gold.

Alan Partridge series Series one was funny, series two was genius, series three a mixture of the two.

My Hero Arse gravy.

Are You Being Served Classic old school - funny enough to watch now and again.

Last of the Summer Wine Shite.

My current favourite is Peepshow, comedy gold.

FWIW - recently got the American series Arrested Development on DVD and loved it - if that gives any indication of my comedy tastes.

“My current favourite is Peepshow, comedy gold.”
I forgot about this one – love it! Is the slacker roommate the guy from “The Smoking Room”? I also like this series, but they show the same five shows over and over here . . . are there more than that?

I never caught the Smoking Room, which I’m annoyed about, so don’t know if it’s the same guy.

As far as I’m aware there’s been three series of six episodes each. Seasons one and two available in Britain on DVD. Series three finished just before Christmas and was excellent.

Sorry for the consecutive post but just remembered about the Scottish comedy Still Game which I absolutely love and would highly recommend.

PBS seems to show (sometimes) “Black Adder” and “Yes, Minister”. Both of which I definetly recommend!

Yes! This has always been one of my favorites…up until Season 4. Season 4 really suffered with the departure of the Jeff Murdoch character, but the first three seasons were comedy gold. Luckily, the Comcast on Demand here in Chicago usually has four Coupling episodes available.

I’m really puzzled at how much I like Coupling. I normally don’t like relationship sitcoms, especially ones that tend to rely on (let me get a little analytic here) stereotypical gender role assignments–you know, that typical Men are From Mars, Women are from Venus comedy. Yet, somehow, Coupling works and is uproariously funny. Too bad British TV seasons are like 4 episodes long. (I’m actually not exaggerating that much.)

Naah, sorry, that was me…

C’mon everybody, lets play Daleks! <puts cactus on chest>
EXTERMINATEEXTERMINATEEXTERMINATE!!!

…this Yank misses The Young Ones…

Makes a note to hang out with Arch Trout next time I’m in Scotland.

I just wanted to chime in to plug People Like Us a delightful, incredibly smart mockumentary before the mockumentary fad got underway.

Are you being sar-car-stic?

Oh, another one to look out for: The Think of It. It’s Yes Minister updated to Blair’s style of governance, done in the style of The Office.

The Thick of it

Fortunately, I have the Every Stoopid Episode DVD set. :smiley:

Anything Armando Iannucci touches is pure class.

Yeah, it is the same guy, Robert Webb.

The Mighty Boosh is one of the best things on TV these days. Absolute genius. Noel Fielding is one of my favourite comedians, and Julian Barrat is really good, too. They both had roles in another excellent Britcom, Nathan Barley, which is definately worth a look. Or checkout trashbat dot cock.