Unessential kitchen equipment that you are lusting over

The most outrageous piece of kitchen equipment I have ever seen was at a house a friend was leasing in Half Moon Bay. It had an indoor barbeque room, with a restaurant hood and vent system. The grill looked to be big enough to grill a whole goat.

I know there used to be a dedicated appliance for this. Amateur cheesemakers could buy it to store and age their homemade cheeses. Now, however, I can’t find it with Googling. The other option is to buy a used fridge and install a widely-available device that makes it stay within the desired temperature range of 50-55 degrees. Then you have to contrive to humidify it; a cool-temp room humidifier is recommended. Bacteria won’t grow on curds if the environment is too dry.

You really have to want to make cheese!

Check your PMs.
If you’re serious I’m sure we can work it out.

Less than two hundred for the Lello. I have one and love being able to whip up ice cream or sorbet any time the whim strikes. Sucker sure is heavy though.

That Big Green Egg sure looks nice…

Ooooh, YES!

No need for a vacuum sealer, but a sous-vide machine ? Can’t wait.

If you look around online you’ll see you can cobble a fairly good one together for under $100. Ive tried it - it works pretty well.

Don’t you need to vacuum seal food to sous-vide it?

Thee are lots of things I’d like, such as an American style fridge with a water dispenser, a chest freezer and an aga, but I wouldn’t be able to fit them in. So instead I’m lusting after a really nice kettle and toaster. It’s not like I wouldn’t use them, but I have a perfectly functional kettle and grill. Delonghi ones, for example.

If they made them in yellow or light blue I probably would have caved in by now.

Yup. Can’t have one without the other, at least not if you want to do it properly.

A few notes on sous vide:

Want to try sous vide without spending a bunch of money?
Cook Your Meat in a Beer Cooler: The World’s Best (and Cheapest) Sous-Vide Hack

The Ziploc Vacuum things work very well … cost less than $6 in the local grocery store.

No room on the counter? Don’t want to spend $400? Got a rice cooker?
SousVideMagic 1500D.

My rice cooker is too small to do much so I use my SousVideMagic with a bucket heater in my big stock pot. Works great … and even better when I added a little $10 aquarium air pump to keep the water in motion.

I got my sous vide about 3 weeks ago and love it … we use it at least 4 dinners a week. [just did corned beef in it last night, it is a tie between corned beef and pan seared scallops for favorite dinner from it so far. It is amazing for chicken breasts.]

I want this: Breville | High End Kitchen & Cooking Appliances although it’s been out of stock since LAST FALL at Williams-Sonoma. Silly, perhaps, but we do enjoy savory and sweet pies here.

I’ve been researching this quite a bit lately for a build project in the back yard. I expect to be building one over the next couple of years as I come across materials. I’d love to do one completely out of clay, but I don’t live near a good local natural clay source, so it’ll have to be partly brick.

I will be using one at a RevWar reenactment in October at the Fort at #4 in Charlestown NH. It’s the subject of a full chapter in a book about 18th century life (Tidings from the 18th century), and I can’t wait to actually use it in person.

That looks like one of the things I had in college. Bread on bottom, fillings, then cover with more bread and close tightly. One could use pie dough, but I never did. But that one looks nicer, and I bet the cover closes better.

They are freaking impossible to clean. It takes hours of soaking/scrubbign and then dishwashing…and you’re still not sure you’ve gotten all the goop off.

Actually, that thing looks kind of interesting. Not that I make or eat that many pies, but it is only eighty bucks. I’ll have to remember for when I next need to buy a wedding gift.

A complete sset of Le Creuset pans: http://www.lecreuset.com/

I bought my brother a Big Green Egg. It’s good but not quite as cool as I thought it was going to be. Using natural gas would get purists up in arms but would be easier for a lot of things.

I want to build a big outdoor oven. Maybe an earth oven if not the monster brick style outdoor fashion statement.

Same. I’ve used my crappy mixer 3 times in the last 5 years. And it’s not because it’s a crappy mixer, it’s because I don’t bake. Or mix things. I have no use for a KitchenAid. My life would not change in any appreciable way except I would lose more of my already scant counterspace and have another thing that I fail to dust off at regular intervals.

I just really want one.
A lot.

Costco has a Cuisinart ice cream maker I may just buy the next time I’m there. Then I’ll have to start collecting low-fat-but-tasty recipes for it, because I really don’t need to absorb much more heavy cream than I already do.

You know, I have a Le Creuset that I haven’t used in months, ever since I got a set of stainless steel skillets from a restaurant supply store for a third of the price of the LC stuff.