Unexpected samples in Hip-Hop

That’s not his old band, that’s his . . .posse. Well, they are a record label now (much like Jay Z is always saying “Rock-a-fella” for his record company), a clothing line, and other merchandising as well.

50 Cent still performs with G Unit at pretty much every show he does. Plus, none of them play instruments so they really aren’t a band- “group” is probably a more appropriate term. They also plan on coming out with another G Unit album sometime soon.

Should he not be?

“The Show” was by Doug E. Fresh.

I came to this thread to post one of the best samples in rap. “Me Myself and I” uses “I Can’t Go for That” by Hall and Oates. I always thought that was one of the best beats in popular music.

I came to mention De La Soul’s Three is the Magic Number. Their album version samples Schoolhouse rock, and I have what they are sampling in this version on the tip of my brain, but I can’t name it. (At about one minute in.)

Since my first choice has been taken, I vote also for the one that used Charlie Chaplin singing mock French-Italian to Léo Daniderff’s Je cherche après Titine from Modern Times. I though the name of the (sampling) song was also “Modern Times,” but I can’t find it anywhere.

You are right, of course. Man, this is embarassing - especially considering that I hosted a hip-hop radio program with some friends when we were in high school. The name of our show? - The Show. We even used the song as an intro :smack:

Another classic: Kool Keith and Dan the Automator’s Dr. Octagon album. They used that great “sedatives? - We don’t have sedatives. Tranquilizers, we do…” sample from Peter Jackson’s Brain Dead.

No, you know what’s really embarrassing? The fact that I corrected someone and then posted the wrong song in my example. The De La Soul song I was thinking of is “Say No Go”. I woke up with “Me Myself and I” in my head this morning and realized that there’s no Hall and Oates in that song. :smack:

The funky little guitar riff? That’s from Dizzy - by Tommy Roe (a bit faster though).

Dizzy

http://www.secondhandsongs.com/home/ is a great place for tracking down samples

Mario Winans and P. Diddy’s “I Don’t Want to Know” also features a sample from “Boadicea”.

P Diddy also uses a sample from the Rocky soundtrack in “Victory”.
And of course Eminem and Dido in “Stan”

Slick Rick was on it too. (Ricky D.)

Not hip-hop, but the progressive rock band Dream Theater sometimes uses samples of dialogue from movies, tv shows & the like. Usually the samples thematically match the lyrics, but the song “Space Dye Vest” contains a sample from the Conan O’Brien Show which comes completely out of left field:

Guy: It’s like what they say in Houston, “Yeah it’s 180 degrees but it’s a dry heat.”
Conan: In HOUSTON they say that??
Guy: Oh wait, maybe I’m all screwed up.
Conan: Dry until you hit the swimming pool.

I didn’t know that. Thanks.

No! He should be shooting people while playing basketball and getting 24" rims installed in his mouth. No rapper is allowed to deviate. Resistance is futile.

No, the repeating keyboard/synth riff from about 40 seconds in, going to just after a minute. Would you know it? Also, is the guitar riff at about 30ish seconds the one you mean? ETA: It’s screaming “Motown” to me, but I still can’t place either of 'em. :frowning:

Ok, I looked it up on the link, and the song is listed twice, here and here. So, which song is the keyboard riff taken from?

Here’s the list of samples on the track. The Led Zeppelin was unexpected!

ETA simulposting. I’m having trouble tracking down the originals of the more obscure samples to check.

K, listening to the other version again, I don’t hear Eddie Murphy, so I’d say the sample is from Don Covay? Can anyone confirm? (I can’t find that Don Covay song on YouTube to confirm myself.)

Don Covey - Overtime Man is available on an Amazon clip here,

the Syl Johnson track here

neither of which helps much

I can’t find the Bob Dorough or Banbarra tracks (with excerpts) on Amazon.

K, yeah, the keyboard riff is from Don Covay’s Overtime Man. Thanks. I’ve also been hit by that repeating six note “horn” riff that appears at about one minute forty seconds. Gah! So many samples… Heh. They do meld well though.

They do indeed. I’ll play the whole album loud tonight, I think. :slight_smile: