unfair pay? what would you do?

Yeah, your company is getting shafted and if I was a manager in this situation I’d be furious and probably fire the other employee outright. Those two independent contractors are being given $20/for their travel expense, and that is being billed to your company’s account by the company that oversees these contractors (or if they are true 1099 filers then it is being billed to your company directly by the individuals.)

If I was running your company, I’d say okay, we have contractors who are billing us $20/day for travel expenses, and then they ride in our company car driven by our company employee and they’re giving that $20 to that employee directly who then pockets it. It seems to me we should not be giving them $20/day travel expenses whatsoever, because we’re actually directly providing them with transportation. Or, if that doesn’t work because of contract language or whatever, then they need to use their $20/day to make their own travel arrangements. Either driving their own cars, or car pooling with just them, or renting a car.

In no way does it make sense for them to bill us $20 * 2 and then give it back to our employee as personal income, nor would it really make sense for them to bill us and then refund us the money, that’s asinine.

Exactly. The other employee is committing fraud against the company. I would report it to your manager and HR department.

You already get an extra half hour of pay and your employer pays all of your commuting expenses. Do you realize what a sweet deal you have already? I have guys bitch because I have to increase their w2 wages $3 a day to use a company vehicle to commute 60 miles round trip. I’d like to see how they like paying for auto upkeep like the rest of us. :eek:

Bad advice!

The manager might be well aware of the arrangement and fine with it for whatever reason.