Unintentionally Silly Over the Top Villains (Spoilers)

I just watched Wakanda: Forever and it’s hard for me to take Namor seriously with him flying around with tiny wings on his feet.

You won’t find a knife that Kooool at the mall. You need to go see Jimmy Joe Bob’s booth at the flea market.

Not really along the lines of this thread, though – that is, this is not a character defect that renders the antagonist too over the top.

In this case it’s, admittedly unusual these days, an old-school comic-book fantasy trait being preserved as-was instead of trying to somehow “make it realistic to modern audiences”.

I guess they figured this was a low-cost bone to throw to a million comics nerds who’ll bitch and moan anyway that this is no longer the Real Submariner (“Look, he’s still got the anklewings, of course he is!”)

That movie scared the shit out of me. I was pretty young when I saw it, so I’m not sure how I would read the character now, but at the time it felt like realism.

I saw it a few nights ago for the third or fourth time. It’s pretty scary. And disturbing as hell. Most of the film shows Cady in unlikely but not impossible situations, which is fine with me: meeting the daughter at her school’s auditorium, how he got to Cape Fear in pursuit of the family, disguising himself as the maid, etc. Like I said, the end (final shots of Cady) is what stretched things beyond the breaking point for me.

The Collin Creek Mall in Plano, Texas had a sword/knife store back around 1994-1995. They actually sold the types of swords and knives you’d find at finer flea markets in addition to more practical blades for hunting, fishing, and other utility work.

I don’t think Max Cady in Cape Fear is over the top, or silly. He was a pretty realistic dangerous creep. And without the final scenes intensifying and verging on unrealism, the film would’ve fizzled.

Well, good for you, then. If there’s ever a thread where that’s relevant, your post will surely make a fine contribution.

Moderating:

This is Cafe Society. Don’t be a jerk.