Unusual word origins

And I didn’t know why they were called pinking shears until this very moment.

French coin usually means “corner” and sometimes “wedge”, and English coin means a piece of metal currency. Both derive from Old French coigne which could mean “corner”, “wedge”, or a die used to mint coins.

That Wikipedia article is rather out of date. “Pink” used as a noun for a color was used at the same time as the verb “to pink.” The wiki article says that the noun used as a color was first in the 17th century but there is an example in the OED from the 15th century. It wasn’t found until a text published in 1992.

The word money comes to us from the Greek temple of Juno Moneta(Juno the Admonisher) It was in her temple that coins were produced.

Seeing the sandy references above, calls to mind the etymology of the word ARENA. These places of combat, chariot races, tortures, etc were called arenas because sand was strewn everywhere, in order to soak up blood that would eventually be spilled.

The adjective ‘mammoth’ means ‘really large,’ tracing its origin to the extinct large beast. Mammoth ultimately comes from a local native word (Yakut or something) for the fossilized bones that would occasionally show up in melting ice/permafrost. They thought they were the remains of some great burrowing critter, so the word roughly translates to ‘burrower.’

That reminds me of the origin of ammonia. It ultimately goes back to the Egyptian god Amun (Ammon), near whose temple at a certain oasis were deposits of ammonium chloride, which the Romans called sal ammoniacus, salt of Amun.

Latin!

You’re in the wrong peninsula, dude…

One of my favorite word origin stories is that of “cosmetics”. It ultimately comes from the Greek word “cosmos” meaning “order”.

In a round about way. It does have escaler as the base, but the derivation according to the guy who coined it is a bit complex. Here is the explanation:

The word “escalate” itself was not used until 1959.

Dennis

Mea culpa! Did I get that right? :smiley:

Rather as “economics” comes from “household matters.”

Doesn’t look like it.

The OED says no attribution is known. The goose egg isn’t suggested as logical. But, the sense of “love” proposed by entymonline is speculative.

I was hoping someone else would post this interesting or amusing derivation, since some may find it offensive:
chrétien (Christian) --> cretin

I don’t understand how either cosmetics or the current usage of cosmos could be related to order. Perhaps an attribute of order that I’m ignorant of?