Urology question -- Flomax & Avodart

A doctor won’t suggest surgery if an impairment can be treated conservatively. A gp cannot do the laser surgery. A gp is not able to do any surgery. You should ask him or her for a referral to an urologist who can.

I thank you for the effort being shown. A useful article…

hang in there. I didn’t notice any change for at least a couple of weeks. Actually, after several weeks I said heck with it and stopped taking Flomax. Within a week I learned my lesson! You might not notice it when you are taking it, but I certainly noticed it when I stopped. Went right back to the pill and noticed relief in less than a week. :slight_smile:

Lots of GPs do surgery. I’m an FP and have done major surgery, and continue to do minor stuff.

But the basic assumption that a GP wouldn’t do prostate surgery is correct.

And yes, I know this is a semi-zombie thread, but what the heck…

Can one have a very low PSA (Prostate Specific Antigen blood test 1.4) and still have an enlarged prostate? That’s Benign Prostate Hyperplasia, right? .

My doctor wants to put me on one of those zosin drugs (forgot which one) and then check my prostate if I’m still having low flow problems.

I was in the medical field long enough to know that means ramming the fist up the poop chute. I have had this done before and it’s damn embarassing when they pull out because it always feels like you’re taking a shit, and you wanna apologize to the doc.

Well, speaking of taking a shit, I am wondering if my prostate is so big, it feels like I’m not having a “complete” BM when I shit?

I have had an enlarged prostate all my adult life, I reckon, to the point where one doctor asked me was I doing my “homework?”

I thought he was also treating one of my English professors.

Hey, I hope I didn’t gross anyone out by talking about shit and stuff, it’s just what I call an accompanying symptom - just like my burning thighs - which I thought were prostate-related.

Thanks

Q

I’m not a MD, but I did have an enlarged prostate, so large, in fact, that after surgery for a calcaneal tendon rupture, I was not able to have any flow. I had to use a Foley catheter and then have laser surgery. But I had no problems with bms. It interferes with urine flow because it can close the passageway through the bladder in which the urine flows. The urine backs up into the bladder and the bladder expands. I don’t see how, physiologically, it can have an effect on bms. You can palpate the prostate through the rectum, and if they biopsy it, they stick needles into it through the rectum, but the passage of fecal material is not affected by the enlargement of the prostate.

From what I understand, the only issue with the Green Light surgery is the retrograde ejaculation that affects ~80% of men after surgery. In addition to shooting blanks, it can also feel a bit uncomfortable (from what I’m told).

I’ve been taking uroxatral for about 2 years. I’m only 40 now, but I started getting flow issues a few years ago. My doc said that my prostate is only slightly enlarged, but that the tight muscle tone of my prostate is probably the issue. He said the surgery would be great for me. I’ve considered it but am holding off because of my fear of the RE.

What’s your cite for 80%? I’ve read on some websites that the percentage is more like 20%.

My urologist. He said not to believe the websites and that it occurs in almost everyone who has the surgery. He has performed hundreds and hundreds of these. He’s one of the top urologists in NJ, but I sure hope he’s wrong.

I’m 43, have been taking meds (first Flomax, then Proscar, now Avodart and have recently added Rapaflow) for a few years. I’ll probably eventually get the surgery to reduce a lobe in my bladder that is partially blocking the opening of my urethra. Like the surgery, Flomax and Rapaflow both can cause (and do cause, in my experience) retrograde ejaculation. It’s no picnic, but it allows me to urinate with less effort than without, so I stick with it. The best analogy for sex without ejaculation I can come up with is like sitting down to take what you expect will be a really satisfying dump, and you can still go so you feel a little better, but it wasn’t what you were hoping for.

JJ- is he in the Princeton area?

He’s in Roselle, along with other locations. He performs his surgery out of UMDNJ in Newark.