US assassinates commanding general of Iran Quds force

I don’t understand how the physics work here. How can a little bitty Tail wag an entire Dog?

This is an example of American Exceptionalism. This poster cant possibly believe that a series of events might occur on this planet which doesnt revolve around the USA. Trump, believe it or not, might have actually done the right thing here. Lets make Iran think that their deranged foreign policy choices just might be met be an equally deranged response. This might get everyone back to the negotiating table.

That severely understates his importance.

According to experts commenting on TV tonight, he’s second in importance in Iran only to the Supreme Leader. In US terms, you took MacArthur at the height of his fame, and combined him with J. Edgar Hoover at the height of his fame, you would be getting warmer. He’s the most important general, the most important intelligence head, and wildly popular with the people.

I’m seeing a lot of people on twitter and other places legitimately being afraid that this now means Iran is going to nuke Washington D.C. within the next few months, which seems like maybe we should be more tough on Iran if they’re willing to just nuke cities all willy-nilly.

Except that the US is the country that walked away from the negotiating table. I don’t think killing Suleiman is going to pull us back.

Or this operation on a Japanese admiral in WWII :stuck_out_tongue:

Killing Suleiman, accident or not, is an adequate retaliation for their attack on our Embassy. Let them think twice about unprovoked acts of aggression against us or our Allies. The Iranian government is not a popular one and some USA carrot and stick might pay off.

I can’t call this situation myself, but signals are ominous.

Would Iran nuking the United States in return for this be a justified response as I’m seeing twitter claim? And how Europe wouldn’t shed a tear?

Im guessing then that Israel should be allowed to nuke the entire continent of Europe for their two millenniaish war against the Jews.

Good analogy.

Not sure which way to take this comment. I’m the first to admit I have not a great understanding of the region, but I have at least spent a small amount of time in a few countries (mostly on oil exploration related business, so that taints my view a bit) and this is my genuine take on matters. I care enough to be enlightened.

Iran doesn’t have nuclear weapons or the means to deliver them to the USA, so it doesn’t really matter.

Was the name of this strike, ‘Operation - Reelect Trump’?

Uggh. Hopefully this is the extent of any military action against Iran. War with Iran would be catastrophically harmful to the US – far more so than the dumb Iraq war.

Hugely stupid. War with Iran would be catastrophic for the US - thousands and thousands of dead US troops. I’m not sure if we’d even win. Obviously we have a military at least ten times as powerful as the Iranian military. But would the US public put up with casualties significantly higher than the Iraq war, for months and months, with no benefit to the US, against a country that wasn’t a threat to the US?

Ugh. Makes me sick to my stomach. I’ll hope against hope that this is the extent of US military action against Iran.

Yet.

From their p.o.v. nuclear weapons might be useful to have now, so we can probably say goodbye to any attempt to restrain their development of them.

Trump was feeling neglected, what with all those people celebrating New Year’s instead of celebrating him

The reaction from congresspeople? Here’s a take from Pelosi, and one from Lindsey Graham:
"The strike was carried out without an “authorization for use of military force” against Iran and without the consultation of Congress, the speaker said.
“The full Congress must be immediately briefed on this serious situation and on the next steps under consideration by the Administration, including the significant escalation of the deployment of additional troops to the region,” Pelosi said.

Graham said in a statement that Suleimani “had American blood on his hands” and welcomed what he called Trump’s “bold action against Iranian aggression."
“To the Iranian government: if you want more, you will get more,” Graham said."

Unlike the other two, Trump and his supporters have come up with several reasons why he should get a third term.