USA TSE, total solar eclipse: April 2024 (was "three years away for USA" when started)

BTW, the year before (2023) there in an Annular eclipse that crosses the western US. It happens to pass through Monument Valley, and that’s where I plan to view it from.

One of my favorite places. Should be awesome.

Wow, you should get some really great photos.

I hope to.
But, again, this eclipse happens mid-day. It’s going to be really hard to put the eclipsed sun behind any dramatic terrain. I’ll probably drive up a few months before and pre-flight it.

Maybe this is my chance to finally go to Prince Edward Island.

PEI would be awesome! The north end of the island is almost smack dab in the middle of the totality path.

Totality is about 2000 feet north for me.

Worth a bit of a drive to get further into it, for a longer totality, though.

Damn! They always miss me. :rage:

Damn, Detroit is so close to totality, but not quite. I guess I Have Three years to decide if “mostly” is good or if I drive down to , gasp----- Toledo.

Wonder if there’s any way to know which location in the NA path is least likely to have cloud cover that day.

We were all set to see the 2018 eclipse, and right as we were about to enter into totality, we had clouds pass over for 20 minutes. Total buzzkill.

https://eclipsophile.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/April-NoAm-cloud.png

As a matter of generalities, you can predict cloud cover in the Spring pretty well starting about a week out. So I’d go with @beowulff’s data to set my strategic plans but be ready starting the week prior to alter those plans. Given the good road network in the central USA, you can move a couple states in either direction if needed. Despite a lot of angst bout crowding in prior years, it doesn’t seem that hotels fill up all that much as long as you’re not trying to sleep along the exact path of the center of totality.

Well, curse you all for reminding me about cloud cover. For the first time in my life a total eclipse is actually going to come over right where I live, but I hadn’t thought about the overcast possibility. With my luck, total overcast is guaranteed! :angry: In fact looking at the weather history, April is just barely beginning to get into real sunshine season here. The chances of clear skies are only a little better than 50%. I will definitely be watching the weather and aiming my car in the appropriate direction!

I was in Grand Island Nebraska for the last one, a lifetime experience.

There’s a town in Illinois, Carbondale, that was in the path of totality for the last one, and will be in 2024. Imagine, being in totality twice. And all you’d have to do would be step outside!

I’m still three states away from Totality (and it totally sucks that it happens on a Monday) but I’ll watch. The good news is that if my son goes to college where he was accepted, the Totality will be directly over him.

( Will he actually close his laptop and look up is another story.)

I’ve never seen a total solar eclipse. I think I’m a bit too far south (Aus/NZ) which reduces their frequency. They do happen in the middle of the Pacific, but that’s largely empty and inaccessible to most of us.

Looks like a good one is coming in 2028, though.

I’m lucky that I’m in Cleveland. I might travel some to find clearer skies, but I’ll get it one way or another.

To those who are very close to the path of totality: Yes, absolutely go for a drive. 99% totality is “Huh, that’s kind of interesting. OK, back to what I was doing.”. 100% totality is a once-in-a-lifetime experience. That last 1% really does make a huge difference.

Likewise, those just inside the edge of the path, you probably want to move a bit, too. Right on the edge, you’ll only get a few seconds of totality, vs. minutes closer in.

Aus/NZ are no further away from the equator than the US. I don’t think being away from the equator makes much difference in the frequency of eclipses. I seem to remember that they happen at pretty much the same frequency all over the world, at least in the long run. Even the Arctic and Antarctic get eclipses.

Well… yeah… except you’ve got the Browns. :slight_smile:

Couldn’t resist! The Browns are long overdue, and they are turning things around.

And my wife’s best friend from college lives right there. We visited her for the 2017 one and are invited back for the 2024 one. We monitored the viewing party at the college - our view was better than theirs. and the sun didn’t go behind the clouds at an inconvenient time.
Bonus - not far from our daughter in Indiana, so we get to visit grandkids too.