USAmericans: can you reliably determine a person's "race" over the telephone?

I’d rate myself somewhere between dracoi and lowdown.

I often speak with people on the phone who I know are culturally African American. Something about the specifics of the intonations and language flow and word choices - I don’t know exactly what it is, but I notice. Same with radio personalities. Not always - just sometimes. But when I hear it, I’m right.

I don’t remember ever having a situation where I thought someone on the phone was AA and they were not, but I have often spoken with people where I wasn’t able to form an impression, and they were AA. That’s why I agree with dracoi that it must be a culture thing.

Given the number of people who are surprised when they meet me after having spoken with me over the phone, the answer for pretty much everyone is “No, no you can not.”

I can’t really distinguish between most stereotypical “black” accents and most varieties of Southern accent. So if it’s a telemarketer calling from who knows where, probably not. If I know for a fact I’m talking to someone local to the West/Midwest/Northeast AND they have a stereotypical black accent, I could maybe hazard a guess there. I don’t think the reverse is true, though, since there’s plenty of black people (and southerners) who speak with a pretty standard newsreader accent, or can go between when they’re at work.

Mama Plant’s third husband was a White guy from Louisiana, and on the phone one would believe him to be Black.

Race? No. Ethcnicity? Sort of.

That is, if you have a certain accent, you’re likely from Brooklyn; another accent, and chances are good you’re Irish. There’s are accents that indicate you’re likely African American (not black, because there are other accents indicating you’re likely from eastern Africa or Jamaica or some such). When a group of people live alongside one another and talk to one another a lot, accents form.

But it’s far from a sure thing, and certainly if you have a flat American accent, that’s not an indication that you’re not black.

What does it mean, “flat American accent”? Like Johnny Carson?

Well, suppose your cell phone accidentally got switched with someone else’s

(NSFW)

You mean you don’t try to visualize the person on the other end of the line while you’re talking to them? :dubious:

I talked to my husband on the phone for the first time one evening after a few brief encounters on this board. The next day, I went to work and told my assistant that I had spoken to a really great guy on the phone but that it was funny because I had him confused with someone else, maybe someone with a similar user name. Before we spoke, I thought he was in his 30s and black. After we spoke, I knew he was in his early twenties and white! How embarrassing to be so confused!

By the way, he’s in this 30s and black.

But I would defy anyone talking to him on the phone to figure that out.

Just as the “real Coke” guy failed a taste test, it would be interesting to have some phone tests with Dopers.
The OP would be easy, as he would threaten everyone with flying monkeys.

Less and less I am able to distinquish between white and black. I do find I can somewhat reliably distinquish american born asians who don’t display any identifiable accent. The conversations tend to be sharper and to the point.

It has never occurred to me to try.

I have an unusually good knack for accents, am a natural mimic, and have a very high (and documented) aptitude for languages, all of which help me pick up on verbal cues. But it’s hard to say, since one rarely gets to meet the people he talks to on the phone. That said, based on meetings after a conversation, I’m usually right when it comes to someone being black. That supposes that someone is speaking with certain inflections and tonal qualities, of course. It’s not a judgment thing, just something I automatically do, much like picking out a Southie accent.

The only time I was really surprised was after talking to a bureaucrat in Washington on the phone, who, if asked, I would have sworn on a stack of bibles was black. All the verbal cues were there, but when I finally talked to him in person, it turned out he was white as rice. I don’t know if it was affectation by him, or if he was the son of a poor sharecropper.

[EvilSkald!]

I resent that. I only send out the flame-breathing acid-pooping winged monkeys when doing so will make Rhymer Enterprises money, when it serves the will of Athena, or when it’s funny.

Usually TV news anchors (especially the national news broadcasts) are a good example of “flat” or “standard” American accent. I’m not really familiar enough with Carson to know if he’s a good example.

In some ways, it’s almost easiest to define by what it’s not. No southern drawl, no Bostonian problems with the letter R, etc.

CAN I guess from voice? Sometimes. But sometimes I have no clue, and other times I guess wrong.

I’d correctly guess that Isaac Hayes was black by voice alone… but I’d almost certainly guess Tony Gwynn was white (he sounds like a black comedian putting on a stereotypical “white” voice for a BET crowd!)

That was hilarious.

And as to thread of course I can. It’s one of the many superpowers I was born with as a USAmerican. I don’t know if MexicanAmericans or CanadianAmericans are born with this particular superpower though.

Oh, I do try to visualize the other person. I’m pretty confident with gender and age, but race? Not so much. I know that my ear is not that good and that people have different enough socio-economic, educational, regional and national backgrounds that guessing their race from their voice is a losing proposition.

Now as someone said earlier, if you tell me your name is Lashawnda, that’s another story. But it’s not your voice giving your race away. :slight_smile:

It seems to me that where a person lives is an important piece of information.

I have always lived in places that are racially stratified (e.g., black folks have their social/cultural world; white folks have theirs). In the South and Northeast, black people tend to have distinctive speech patterns that are readily apparent to me. But I have noticed that my ear isn’t that great as I move geographically westward. I can pick up some of the subtleties of “black” Midwesternese because my parents/extended family are from Indiana. But I’d probably fare poorly on the test once you starting throwing a bunch of west coast and Pacific Northwest people in the mix.

Still, I remember knowing right away that Panthro was a brother. I can’t articulate how I knew this, but I did.

Back during the OJ Simpson trial, there was a bit of a to-do about whether some people shouting something that a witness overhead could really be identified as black by their voices. I also recall some article around the same time that had voice samples and asked if you could identify the speaker’s race. I decided to try it out at places like fast food drive-thrus and other areas. I found I could maybe identify a voice as black maybe 25% of the time (that matched my rate with the voice sample test too). In other words, not so great