Use of 'esquire' illegal?

I’m pretty sure I tried to do that once, but this time instead of parody, I’ll just be clear about it:

Couple of things here:

1. “Yelling” in all caps is generally considered rude on-line.
  2. Hmmmm…the repeated references to the defeat of the British seems gratuitous and rude since:
    a. You weren’t involved.
    b. Neither was the person you’re referring to.
    c. The two countries have been bestest buddies for quite a while now.

No, it fucking doesn’t always mean that - as you yourself admit in your next post:

Do I really have to explain why this is rude? In fact, wouldn’t the direct reference to another poster as a “limey” constitute a personal insult outside the Pit, somthing you have been warned for in this very thread?

Which was a reaction to this comment:

Is that enough of a cite for you?

How do you get a law degree without knowing any Latin? :wink:

Yeah, I see Winkie, but, seriously, except for a few phrases here and there, we used very little Latin in law school.

In fact, I picked up the habit from my favourite professor of using the English word “against” when stating case names instead of the Latin “versus.”

Hee! Yeah, I actually knew that. Not to mention that any Latin you did learn (certiorari, etc) was specific terminology and didn’t include grammar, tense, declension, or other fun stuff. I was just yanking your chain a little.

Whoa! there, acsenray! You start doing that, and next thing you know, the hoi polloi will be able to understand what we write! Egads, man, do you know where that would lead us??? :wink:

Askeptic, did you see my earlier Warning in this thread? I may have expressed it with some humor, but that doesn’t mean I wasn’t serious.I’ll repeat: Personal insults are NOT permitted in this forum. You want to flame, go to the Pit. Better advice would be, have a good lie-down with a cold washcloth on your forehead.

This isn’t a second Warning, it’s a reminder that Moderator Warnings are not to be lightly ignored. We clear on this?

Actually, a knowledge of Old French is even more important than a knowledge of Latin. (That’s where all those legal terms ending in -er, like waiver, come from.)

I didn’t know that. Thanks for the info!

Goodness- such great wisdom by Doctor Young :stuck_out_tongue: and Sir CandidGamera :cool: , amoung others. :smiley:

Not only can anyone call themselves “esq.” but you can call yourself “Lord High Emperor of the Universe” if you like. Nothing in US laws (AFAIK) to stop you.

I would GUESS (IANAL) that tacking “esq” at the end of your name then offering sercices as a paralegal that bordered on what only a Bar Attorney is suppose to do- COULD be fraud or something, sure.

The lost 13th admendment is interesting. But- it was NOT ratified. And the reason it is brung up now is a “nitwit” arguement - IF it had been ratified, it would have prevented dudes from accepting titles of nobility (true). Next- first nitwit part- That "Esq’ is somehow a Title granted by Foriegn nations or Rulers. Then follows more nitwit reasoning- thus all the lawyers are criminals. Thus- and get this- every law ever passed in the USofA- ESPECIALLY THE TAX LAWS- is thus invalid . :rolleyes: :dubious: Which is SO “nitwit” that the word isn’t strong enough.

Even IF the “lost 13th Ad” been ratified- 'esq" is not a “title granted by a foriegn nation/king”. Even if it was- lawyers in the USA would just not accept/use it. And the postulate from that that every fucking law every passed is invalid is just plain looneytoons. And, if it wasn’t for this loony& nitwit idea- the whole 'lost 13th admendment" thing woudl just be a minor footnote.

DrDeth, while I heartily agree about your characterization of the final outcome (nitwitdom), you do make a small error on the way to that conclusion. The purported 13th Amendment not only prohibits the granting of titles, it prohibits the claiming of titles, regardless of the supposed source of the title. This would, theoretically, preclude me from asserting that I was the Grand Poobah of Toledo (God knows why I’d want to, but that is another thread), assuming that I was asserting that this was an official title or honour. Thus, claiming to be an “esquire” would be a violation of the Amendment, at least arguably; certainly the plain language of the text would reasonably support that conclusion.

Of course, even if true, it’s where they go from there that takes it into the totally bizarre… :wink:

Grand Poobah of Toledo. I like that. I think I’ll try it on for size some day. :slight_smile:

I see your point- but in that case, Lawyers would simply stop using “Esq”. The nitwit idea is that all layers ("esq’ used or no) would be in violation.

sorry to burst your bubble but canadians say “eh” not “ay”

It’s that some (many?) republicans have an authoritarian streak. They seek positions that have titles and supposed associated authority. Senator, Sargent, Esquire etc. Titles like “Lord” carry the same attraction.