And the New Yorker still uses the hyphen.
Would that be the New-Yorker? ![]()
The New Yorker actually modernized its style guide a bit not that long ago.
The magazine will abandon “Web site,” “in-box,” and “Internet” in favor of the more familiar “website,” “inbox” and “internet.” “Cellphone” will be one word, rather than two.
Diaereses were kept. “Charming” they said.
They are the preëminent publication trying to reëstablish the use of diaereses in words with consecutive vowels that are pronounced as separate syllables. ![]()
Here’s a frame from the 1961 Twiight Zone episode “Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up.”
Here’s a still shot from an I Love Lucy episode from 1952.
Notice the signs in both show TO-DAY. So the old convention lasted until mid-century, at least in the minds of set designers.
Enamel is émail, so the accent sufficiently distinguishes it. When I realized that, I stopped hyphenating email.
You jest, but it really was written “New-York” two hundred years ago. That hyphen was discarded sometime in the 19th century, I think.
I was half in jest. I knew it had been New-York back in Ye Olden Tymes. But I figured that would surprise a few folks.