Uses of metal wire prior to the electric age?

This site claims that drawn wire prior to 1850 was brittle and not suitable for fencing:

http://www.ehow.com/facts_5561006_origin-wire-fencing.html

The Brooklyn Bridge, opened in 1883, used over 14,000 miles of wire to spin it’s four main suspension cables.

Agreed, but I just wanted to clear up that baling with wire wasn’t a modern development. Before twine bales became prevalent, livestock owners had to be very careful that they didn’t leave a piece of baling wire in the hay when they fed it to their animals.

BTW, what about wire brushes, which are a useful tool for a number of tasks. Wiki claims that the Romans had them.

SirRay, I think you may be overestimating the relevance that wire would have had to the work of early electrical experimenters. Until the invention of the Voltaic pile in 1800, all electrical research, including that with the Leyden Jar and Franklin’s famous kite experiment, was concerned with what we would now call static electricity. This could involve quite high voltages, but relatively little flow of current, and the phenomenon of electrical conduction was not even recognized until the work of Stephen Gray in the early 18th century, but whose importance was not much recognized before the 1730s. Even then, the phenomena of interest were essentially “static electrical” ones. Gray was able to show how “electrical virtue”, the capacity of a charged object to attract fluff, or perhaps cause a spark or a mild shock, could be conducted through, for instance, a thread or a child’s body, to act at some distance from the originally statically charged object. I do not think he or his successors thought in terms of currents, still less of circuits, and AFAIK Gray did not rely on metal wires, or even particularly on metallic conductors of any sort, in his experiments. He used such things as hemp threads and human bodies as his conductors (which is fine when you are dealing with highish voltages but low current). Experiments with Leyden jars, I think, tended to rely on metal rods rather than wires to conduct the electricity, but we are still talking about static electric effects rather than currents or circuits.

Even after current electricity became “a thing”, in the 19th century, after the invention of the Voltaic pile, one could, of course, rely on rigid metal rods rather than wires to construct circuits. Flexible wire is more of a convenience than a necessity for electrical experiments. (Which is not to say that wire was not available to, or used by, the early current-electricity researchers.)

I stand corrected. :smack:
Thanks, yabob for educating me. :cool:

All the farmers around where I lived in the 50s and 60s use twine. Wire was too expensive.

I stand corrected as well. Thanks for the info.

Nails are made from wire. I think starting in the late 1800’s. Before that they were handmade by blacksmiths.