Using T-Mobile As A Hotspot For My Laptop - Good Alternative To Cable Internet?

This will probably be the best $1 you ever spend!

I’ve read over my contract I signed within the last month and I did not see a word about throttling speed at 5 GB of data transfer (which I hit in 4 days using the tethering option, which I am getting at no cost). The sales rep never mentioned a word about it and like I’ve stated above I didn’t see anything in the contract about it. The 4th day after I signed the contract I woke up with a text from T-Mobile, saying I had reached the 5 GB cap and my speeds would be throtled for the remainder of the billing cycle. Needless to say I was not very pleased with the situation. I still use it, but sometimes it slows down to below dialup speeds.

As long as this thread has been revived, here is my update:

So, I am getting to be almost as smart as the smart phone.
I have figured out how to turn off voices, how to navigate through APPS, how to work lots of cool features and I am starting to love the phone.

That said:

1. My laptop has been acting weird and I can no longer get wireless connections of any sort. (My older brother fiddled with it a few months ago, and ever since it has not been able to get wifi connections…)
  2. The tethering won’t work - have been on with Tech Support and they can’t help either. I still have a few things I am going to try with my computer, but as of this point, I have not been able to even test out this feature on the phone to laptop (neither tethering nor wifi hot spot - both separate features).
  3. I can do almost everything, but still haven’t figured out how to set up a basic phone call list - I can find everyone I have ever written on Gmail for the past 10 years, but cannot pull up just my list of normal contacts. Granted, I haven’t really looked at the instruction manual yet, and am able to dial out and get calls, but this is probably next on my list of things to learn. Perhaps time for another lesson from one of my students.

I will most likely have to take my laptop to some repair store to see what the hell happened to my wifi connectability…but once that is repaired, will be eager to see how the phone works as an Internet connection.

So far - I really like having the radio feature that allows me to instantly connect with any German radio station I want. Also, have found several apps that allow me to even watch German TV here and see newscasts, etc. Pretty cool and excellent quality!
Also like the US weather/news updates, ability to read SDMB anywhere (although typing is not really an option at this point).
Really like the movie app that pops immediately to all of the local movie theaters, with links to Rotten Tomatoes and movie trailers.
So - even for an old fart like myself, this has been a fun (if challenging) learning curve and most certainly worth the effort.