Vacationing in Victoria B.C., Help please.

In case any of you happen to look up the profile on Maud’Dib ~ it’s my son ~ not me! Didn’t want to confuse any of you as I just happened to look at some of his threads ~ yikes! I merely asked him how to post a thread and then took it from there, using his log in name. Thanks!

Sweet mother of crap, Muad! You’ve hit the holy jackpot! This is clearly where God would go if he had the money.

Looks to me (from the one shot where I can see part of town) like you’re somewhere up in the west hills, kind of towards Highlands–Sooke way.) Very, very nice.

You’ll be going right past Fort Rodd Hill/Fisgard Lighthouse (and Royal Road University, which is Hatley Castle, where they filmed the two X-Men movies, and will soon be doing the third) on your way to and from town, if I have my orientation right. http://www.hatleycastle.com/

And yes, add Craigdarroch Castle to your list of must-sees. I know you have a few robber-baron castles down SF way, but this one will give them a run for their money any day of the week.

If you’re here for 7 days, definitely plan at least one day trip out of town; I suggest following the #14 highway west, out to Sooke, a neat little fishing/logging town (that does very little of either, now). You can get a very chi-chi lunch at the Sooke Harbour House (http://www.sookeharbourhouse.com/garden.html)

And, you must take the ferry (only a 20-minute one!) over to Saltspring Island, a beautiful slice of paradise with organic markets, arts and crafts, and very, very laid-back funky lifestyle. A great place to spend a day. Nice pubs, restaurants, etc. http://www.saltspringmarket.com/

And oh–you will have been carefully sheltered from this, being down in CA: BC makes some of the best wine in North America.

Try some of the Mission Hill reds (if you like full bodied reds, try the “Oculus,” or their 2002 Estate Syrah); or some of the Summerhill whites. Cedarcreek and Burrowing Owl are also good labels to try.

I think I’d like to just hire you for the week to be our tour guide. :wink:
You’re awesome, thank you so much! I will definitely share all of your ideas and suggestions with my friends. We’re all clueless when it comes to this area, obviously, since I thought the lake was called Lake Victoria! Ha!

Eat at Paggliaci’s on Broad Street downtown.

By all means eat at the Sooke Harbour House.

That house looks awesome to stay in. Pool! Hot tub!

Rodd Hill, or anyone, what’s the name of the other gardens? The one at the house of the woman who was a princess? I want to say Anas… something. Aza… Something.

I’m getting old and grumpy, but to me, Victoria is slightly less quaint and pretty and quiet as it was when I came here for university in 1984. This city is really growing (condos exploding everywhere) and downtown’s a bit more iffy than it used to be.

Having viewed all six pages of that house’s website… I want that house.

Why, that would be the Abkhazi Gardens, I believe…

http://www.gobc.ca/Abkhazi-Garden-Heritage-Site_attractiondetail_aID_1.php

Yes, very nice; although that house that les girls have rented looks pretty swank…it may be hard to get them out of there, away from swilling Bellinis, and into town!

I was just out at Mitchell’s Farms in Saanich, and brought pack three punnets of strawberries…I’m at the point where if I eat any more, I may actually get physically ill.

I was going to recommend getting any and all fruit & veg at Mitchell’s to Muad, then remembered that of course, they’ll be closed for the season by late September…so instead, I’ll tell her to take the group for long, early-morning walks along the sand at Island View Beach, just down the road there, off Highway 17, between Victoria and the ferry at Sidney. Best place to watch the sunrise (next to the Xanadu you’ve rented, of course)…

Hey Muad: just found this neat panoramic view site, showing some great views of 'round these parts:

“My” lighthouse!

To get there - you can also take a seaplane, or perhaps the ferry from Port Angeles.

Loved the panorama, thank you! Don’t be suprised if 10 women show up at your lighthouse in October for a personal tour!
I’ve taken note of the eateries and the gardens - I’m getting more excited now and feel like I have so many options and ideas. Thanks.