Value of British Pound

Fleetwood, I think these days you’re right and the pound isn’t backed by anything. I’d guess the name dates back to a time when the pound was backed by the gold (etc…) reserves of the Bank of England (I know for definite the currency used to be backed, but I can’t remember how long ago that was)

What a crock! Using a Big Mac as a standard of whether currencies are over/undervalued is worthless. How about using the price of a 2 bedroom apartment in a medium-sized city? Or the price of chicken/beef/per pound? Or the price of anything that is more comparable than a fast-food specialty item.

Okay, can someone explain why the English pound, virtually alone of all the world’s major currencies, is worth more than the American dollar? This isn’t American chauvinism talking here. I really do want to know.

Probably because the English pound was the most powerful currency in the world from sometime in the 1700’s until the first world war. A pound was worth some $5.US in the 1800’s until about the early 1900’s. But the empire kept slipping and the pound became worth less and less in this century. It slowly declined to its current state.

Chill, sam. The Economist doesn’t take their Big Mac currency comparison that seriously. If they did, they’d have to add a few items to their market basket. Like say, a Coke and fries…

I knew someone would freak out. Here is a selection of the Economist’s reply, (4/27/2000)

I’ll note that some of the products that sam described can be interpretted as inputs (chicken, beef) and therefore reflecting a narrower slice of the economy than a final (locally produced) output. For others (rental apartments) they are “non-homogenous”, meaning it is difficult to be sure that a one bedroom apartment in London is really identical to one in New York or Manila for that matter.

Ideally, a basket of goods would be measured. Indeed, a group at the University of Pennsylvania does exactly that. Unfortunately, they come out with their data approximately once every five years. Big Mac sampling, OTOH, is done bi-annually by the Economist, IIRC. Still, I doubt whether any international research departments will be closed due to the Big Mac index.