Veal = Pork Tenderloin...?

I bet that makes for some interesting dishes.

They must be raising a bunch of very confused young folks! Mangos? Why, I oughtta…

I find them to be too much work, myself. The seed’s too big and the fruit is very firmly attached. I prefer papaya. Mmmm… with a squeeze of lemon!

Are mangos not sold in Ohio?

OK, then what DO they use to make this sandwich??

Imagine the confusion of those of us from southern Lousiana who grew up thinking that scallions/green onions aren’t called shallots!

Although I suppose if you get them confused in a recipe it wouldn’t turn out nearly as strange as getting mangos and green peppers confused…

In northeastern Massachusetts many Italian sub shops substitute pork patties for veal patties in their veal parm sandwiches. It’s such a widespread practice that shops that actually use veal make a point of saying they serve “real veal”.

OK, then what DO they use to make this sandwich??

Mangoes are sold in Ohio (you could probably even get them at Kroger’s), but they’re not really part of the culinary world of the average rural Ohioan.

Mangoes are sold in Ohio (you could probably even get them at Kroger’s), but they’re not really part of the culinary world of the average rural Ohioan.

Oops, make that are called shallots.

I have heard bell peppers referred to as “mangoes”, but it’s the stuffed and then pickled version of the pepper, not the fresh. It’s a late-19th century usage of the word “mango”, I believe.

http://www.recipesource.com/fgv/pickles/01/rec0114.html
http://www.freerecipe.org/Side_Dishes/Vegetables/Peppers/PepperMang_hefd.htm

According to Merriam-Webster online:

Okay everyone…this is my version:

My family is Donauschwaben…because veal is very expensive, we use pork, (probably tenderloin), flatten it, and bread it…we still call it weinerschnitzel or just schnitzel.

It probably is a regional thing…during the lean times after WWII, a lot of Donauschwaben (ethnic Germans) used pork instead of veal.

Chris from Cincinnati