VICE series on NFL players post-career medical benefits or lack thereof

If you’d read the articles, you’d know that no, not everyone has those options and no, most former NFL players are far from “rich”.

I can’t feel sorry for anyone who made at least a few million dollars and squandered it, and even if they somehow made less than that it still falls under option B: can’t they get a job? There are plenty of people struggling with health issues and medical expenses in this country that never had the luxury of getting tons of money to play with a ball.

If you haven’t read the articles, you really have nothing to contribute here, do you?

If you can’t put forth even a basic counter-argument without simply saying “refer to outside source”, then neither do you.

Bo posted a link to an article along with some comments of his own, and invited us to comment on it. Your post ignored everything in the article and the comments and discussions following it. It’s like you just saw the thread title and replied without reading any of the thread.

I am not an NFL insider or anything, however:
There’s only a handful of positions in the NFL where they make the truly staggering amounts of money. A lot of guys in the trenches getting pounded every game, are not the ones pulling in 10m+ every year. Sure they still make a lot of money compared to other dangerous professions, say, a steel worker or a miner.
But the NFL is a multi billion dollar industry, and not only has it had a chance to make post-NFL life better for its employees and failed, it has also fought and denied and obfuscated doing anything except the bare minimum of care. It has for decades refused to even acknowledge the effects of concussions and head injuries, all the while lining its own pockets with gold dust from the results of its players battering the shit out of each other. Yes, there are a handful of players that can be called “rich” and seem to spend their money on frivolous luxury items. That doesn’t change the fact that there are many former NFL players with severe brain injuries that their employers lied about, minimized, and flat out refused to do anything about. And now they can’t work, can’t remember things, and sometimes need help dressing or feeding themselves. No, it’s not the only tragedy in the world, and the NFL is not the first company to screw over its employees. But it’s still a damn shame to hear of NFL stars whose names will long be remembered writing down everything they do in notebooks because they have no short term memory. And all the while Roger Godell and the owners (who take zero risk of catastrophic brain injuries) have private jets and mansions.

In any other dangerous industry nowdays, the companies are forced to have safety standards and work to make their employees safer. I’m positive you can find examples of the steel industry resisting safety standards (I come from a family of steelworkers, though I’m not one), but these guys formed a union and fought for their rights and their safety. Even Wal-mart would, if there were repeated injuries because of some process they followed, change that process to make their employees safer. It’s a shame Rigamole bemoans the standards of worker care and safety in the logging industry but isn’t willing to stand up for them, and is in fact apathetic to safety standards in other industries (like the NFL). It’s possible to be outraged and concerned by the NFL’s concussion bullshit while still supporting other dangerous profession employees. Employee safety is something that should be automatic in every industry, whether you’re cutting down trees, moving merchandise, or crashing into 300lb men at full speed.

Unlike coal mining, which contributed 225.1 billion to the GDP. Or the $627 billion private construction makes.

I don’t think the NFL has a special exemption from those same laws. Maybe you could point out if they do.

Er, I am not trying to say that the NFL should follow different standards as other employers. In fact I believe the opposite. I’m trying to provide a counterpoint to the people saying “NFL players make millions and can provide their own health care”. Because it’s not the cost of post-NFL care (although that’s a big part of it). It’s also the denials and minimizing the long-term effects of head injuries, and the poor standards of care for aging players. The NFL makes enough money that they could easily provide much better care for ex-players. So could the coal or construction industries. Everyone who works in jobs that have a potential for injuries should have proper care, and the fact that some have it better or worse than others doesn’t change that we still need to go a long way in taking care of employees on the whole.

Yes. The income disparity between CEO’s and workers, the lack of health care and pensions for ex-employees, and sad stories about injured workers suffering from job related injuries are all problems in the US. The NFL is no exception, nor does it really claim to be. It’s run like a vast majority of other businesses in the US.

But when you consider Kyle Turley made like $25 million dollars and is getting $120,000 a year in payments, it’s really hard to garner as much sympathy for him. That’s not to say there aren’t horrible stories of even older players, but it’s also not going to move a lot of people to action.

I hate to politicize this, but you just know the Libertarian and Tea Party Republicans will go nuts over the idea of regulating safety in football.

People are expecting compassion and caring in a league where the commissioner is the son of a left wing loony tunes senator and the owner of the Colts a few years ago spoke out against the idea of Rush Limbaugh owning an NFL team?

Part 3 was posted today: “DON’T MAKE PROUD MEN BEG”.

The subject is pensions, and the incredible disparity between pre-1993 players and players today, and also the disparity in the rate of growth of NFL income and the lack of growth of NFL players’ pensions.

I’m not sure why this disparity comes into play, except that the NFLPA is for current players; they have much less of a vested interest in helping former players. Unions are a difficult thing to be a part of; like any democratic organization they take active participation and often times, as long as things are going well for most current members, they won’t take the time to get involved or think long-term. After all, if things are great now, why wouldn’t they be great in the future? :rolleyes:

I think that a big part of the problem is that retirees have no say in union business, yet they continue to rely on the union for their income, benefits, insurance, etc. Imagine if once you started collecting Social Security, you could not vote or run for office; that’s what being a retired union member is like in the US.

[Mike Ditka had this to say before the US Congress during hearings on the NFL in 2007*:

](NFL Congressional Hearing 2007 - YouTube)Little has changed since that testimony 8 years ago, except that the League owners get much richer much faster.
*YouTube seems to have trouble starting at the correct point; Mr. Ditka is introduced at about 1:37:40

[Related AP story on NFL player’s and medical conditions incurred from playing football:

](http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FBN_NFL_BRAIN_DISEASE_RESEARCH?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2015-09-18-23-22-45)

ETA: [Here’s the PBS story: 76 of 79 Deceased NFL Players Found to Have Brain Disease

](76 of 79 Deceased NFL Players Found to Have Brain Disease | FRONTLINE).