Visiting Boston and NYC in February

Sounds like you had a great time! Glad to be of some help (and, side note, Arms & Armor is one of my favorite exhibits. If I could only see two things, it would be the horse armor and Portrait of Madame X).

Magnolia is overrated (I like their frosting but $5 is a lot for good frosting on a so-so cupcake). Now you can sound like a real New Yorker and say “Magnolia is overrated.” :smiley:

Come back anytime!

:smiley: I did hear that there are several better cupcake shops in NYC, such as Babycakes, but it’s a shame we didn’t have a chance to go and sample them.

I didn’t get a chance to see the Madame X portrait, unfortunately. The Met is an amazing place with so much to see. The portrait was mentioned when we went to the Gardner Museum and the curator that led our tour mentioned that Madame X was the impetus behind Isabella Gardner’s initial contact with Sargent. Guess I’ll have to plan another trip to New York then. :slight_smile:

Yeah, but the appeal of Bartley’s to me isn’t the food, it’s the atmosphere. The place is positively brimming with atmosphere.

It does have a preppie frat-house vibe to the place with its irreverent bumper sticker and poster motif, but I just wasn’t very impressed. Maybe I’m missing something?

I always thought it looked like P.J. O’Rourke’s dorm room exploded.

Now that you mention it… nah, probably a little too liberal for his taste. :smiley:

So apart from Bartley’s you liked Boston? I’d call that a win.

Glad you enjoyed it.

TheTerribleTako, I’m glad that it sounds like you had a good time :slight_smile:

Boston, on foot in February, is miserable. Even December is a better time for wandering along the freedom trail.