Volvo commercial - WTF?

I wondered if I was the only one who snapped, “Eyes on the road!” when she was eyeballing the camera in the passenger’s seat.

They are actors in a stupid car commercial. It’s deliberately vague to make people mention " Volvo". It could be “Chevy” or “Ford” or whatever. It’s just a ploy to get people talking about " Volvo’s"

and she never once used her turn signal.

:eek: No way! I never would have guessed that the purpose of an advertisement was to get people talking about the product being advertised.

I REALLY dislike this commercial. Hate the music, sounds like the singer is moaning and needs to be put out of misery. As for the old guy in the back, he looks like a terrorist with a suit on. Volvo, you need to change advertising agencies.

Especially since the OP mentioned that very thing! Gosh, stosh - are you always this insightful, or did you just get lucky?

A well groomed older man in a luxury car commercial “looks like a terrorist”?? Really?

:rolleyes:

I did get that it was the mother, but who wears a white lace dress to her daughter’s wedding?

My wife and I have discussed this commercial. Truly, the brand VOLVO does not come to mind when I think about the scenario. If it’s the father-of-the-bride looking at his wedding band, why isn’t he riding in front with his wife (or ex-wife)? It doesn’t make me remember VOLVO at all! It makes me wonder why a company as sophisticated as VOLVO would waste money on a commercial that totally misses the mark.

When we were first talking about this thread I was trying to figure out who played the mother and father and ended up on a message board full of comments exactly like the above. I had to look up what ‘muzzie’ meant. Their problem with the commercial was that a muzzie shouldn’t be married to an American (or a hot blonde or something like that).

Found it
“Recently I saw a commercial selling some junk and there was a married couple depicted as a perky white blonde girl married to a slovenly, Arabic-looking guy with a full muzzie beard.”

The comments just get worse and worse and worse as the thread goes on.

The ambiguity of this commercial and of the characters in it is a feature not a bug. It is a scene from some story that the viewer can complete but the story clearly includes a family of some diversity and of wealth that love and care about each other.

guizot (and rrwcm) you highly probably are not the target demographic they had in mind for this luxury plug-in crossover that starts at $68,100, often sells with packages that come to more like $84K plus, and goes 0 to 60 in 5.3 seconds. The demographic they are looking at might also be considering an Audi Q7 or a Mercedes GLS or maybe a Tesla S. That likely is fairly few of us.

Forbes’ reviewhits who they are aiming for clearly:

Tesla will win the sexy product group. Volvo’s sales pitch is based on people who want to think of themselves as people who care most about their family’s safety and being responsible, even as they make an absurdly indulgent purchase.

This commercial is aimed at them. It is effective ambiguous sentimental swill that declares that this is not about announcing how sexy you are or declaring how much money you have … it is about allowing yourself to indulge in power and luxury while still advertising to the world that what you care about is your family and maybe the planet a little too.

That may not be you and it may not be me but it is who might buy that vehicle.

The next - prequel - installment of “The Wedding.” Extended version.

BTW, Hasselblad is a Swedish company, and the camera featured, the H6D, will be selling for about $33K.

That’s the same extended version of the commercial linked to upthread.

Ah sorry. As it has very little of the same material I assumed it was a new commercial and had gotten to it clicking a link that entitled it as such called “The Letter.”

My apologies.

I got it: Mom is driving. Dad is in the back seat nervous about the speech he’s got to give and about giving their kid away. Ring is for the kid getting married.

Groom is in the back seat. Dude in the front is the best man, the groom’s best friend. This makes me think the couple getting married is straight and therefore that the “kid” getting married is the daughter of the driving mom and the pensive dad.

The dad is hawt! Mom is too. Their kid must be really hawt.

But this commercial pisses me off and make me not want to buy a Volvo EVER! It shouldn’t be this hard to figure out a damn commercial!