Vote here: Is the Chevy Avalanche dumb and ugly, or is it kewl?

I would have to say that it is dumb and ugly.

I like the PT Cruiser. It is different.

Dumb and ugly. Then again, I’m no fan of SUVs or their ilk anyway, but this vehicle is just uck.

Oh, yeah, that’s what the world needs: more cargo vehicles that aren’t big enough for any cargo. Wahoo.

I already did, and I have no objection to spending $140K on something that I’m going to live in for a good portion of my life. Spending 1/5 of that amount for a new vehicle that seems to have a life of only 10 years max, seems a bit silly to me.

Certainly ugly. Dumb? If you live in rugged terrain, or have need to haul stuff, no.

If you live in urban areas, a thousand times yes. And if I see one of these monstosities parked in a ‘compact’ parking space, me and the driver are gonna have words…

Don’t care for the looks the same way I don’t care for the looks of those oversized, neon-striped, heavily sculpted running shoes.

So, ugly. Check.

Anyone who actually hauls the typical crap that one carries in a pickup, remnants of said crap will gradually collect in the bed. Then one day while the driver has the “midgate” down he or she will have to stand on the brakes for some reason, and all that crap will join him/her in the cab.

So, dumb. Check.

No value judgement, of course…

Extremely ugly, and anyone who refers to it as a truck should be tarred and feathered.

Uuuuugggggggllllllleeeeeeeeeee! Fugly. Coyote ugly.
Plus, it looks like the guy who designed it got the leftover hash brownies from the Pontiac Aztek styling party.

OTOH, the new Dodge Ram? If I needed a pickup, I’d buy one of those in a heartbeat.

Zap

“Canyonero!!! (whip crack)”

How did that song (from the Simpsons) go?

“…4 miles per gallon and 8 lanes wide - Canyonero! Yeeehaaa! (whip crack)…” ???

I vote for KEWL! I saw a commercial and thought it was prety cool looking. I finally got to look at one up close a few weeks ago. I have never been a huge fan of chevy cabs and this is definitely a chevy. But I am drawn to the “multipurpose” aspect. I am a homeowner, Every homeowner ends up wishing they had a truck at some point if they dont have one. OTOH I don’t like trucks because I do have kids and it would be a pin to get the Mrs and 2 lil ones in a pickup cab. From the looks of it its a dream machine in many respects. It dosen’t have the smooth classy lines of many vehicles but its not trying to be “the next” anything its something new.

Fugly. Dumb. Who ever is doing the styling on trucks at GM needs to get a swift boot in the head. First the Aztek, now this. What next, a Suburban and a Fiero mating?
dead0man

Dumb and ugly. I don’t like all the plastic on the body.

My roommate told me that when you use it as a pickup, the cab is exposed to the bed. Is this correct? If so, it seems like it would limit its utility, especially in cold climates.

I read the thread title a little too fast & saw “Chevy Ambulance”.

I looked at that thing for a full minute trying to figure out where the lights & siren were.

Canyoneeeeroooooooooooo!! :smiley:

It’s just a 4-door pickup truck. Is the styling that distinct? To me it doesn’t look very different from other SUVs and trucks.

I hate the idea of it though. It’s a truck for people who don’t need a truck, but want one anyway. The truck bed doesn’t look that big. Can it carry anything a minivan can’t? Unless you need both cargo space and 4 seats at the same time, but I don’t know if many people do.

I vote for “Dumb”!!

This thing has a tailgate latch at the level of my chin. And when the gate’s down, it’s edge is even with my wife’s chin. Since the box is actually smaller than the one on my nice low-load-height little 2WD '97 Ranger, why would either of us want one?

I also agree with those who argue that the latches and seals associated with the moveable wall will give major headaches 4-5 years down the road, coinciding with the expiration of warranty coverage on those parts. I’ve actually looked one of these things over and can attest to the fact that the “easy conversion” shown on TV ain’t so in real life.

As for “UGLY”, I like the Aztek, and I think that most AMC and Nash vehicles were great concepts that merely lacked proper quality control programs; so what do I know? If the 2-tone effect of the Avalanche body were rendered in paint rather than flimsy plastic, the vehicle wouldn’t look half bad "slammed " down to the overall height of a 2WD Ranger or S-10, with the second row of seats and the roof over them removed, the back doors replaced with solid metal bed-sides, and a welded-in bulkhead behind the front seats.

Of course, you can buy a fairly well-equipped 4-cylinder standard cab Ranger or S-10, AND a well-equipped short wheelbase minivan for the same money as the Avalanche and take both on vacation on less gas than you would use in one big useless not-really-a-very-good pickup/ not-really-a-very-good people hauler combo vehicle.

Ugly

Wouldn’t have one if it appeared free-and-clear in my driveway.

It’s ridiculous, an absolute monstrosity. It combines the worst of all possible worlds; it’s huge and a menace to everyone else, but you can’t actually carry enough in the box that would merit its size. It other words, it’s basically just a lot of moulding slapped onto a pickup truck.

It’s not quite fugly a la the PT Cruiser, Aztek, Toyota Echo or any of the many stupid hybrid-SUVs they have now, but it’s pretty ugly. It looks like a pickup truck with elephantiasis.

At 15, I think it is the ugliest thing I’ve ever seen. Dumb, well, I don’t know, but ugly is for damn sure.

…it ain’t got no alibi! Ya! Ya! It’s freaking ugly!

Sort of a takeoff on the Bronco design without the cap and coated in plastic.

In a few years after they have been sitting in the sun and all that plastic gets that milky white haze to it it’ll be even uglier.

Can you imagine having to pay for bodywork on something like this? Sheet metal can be repaired, but plastic panels need to be replaced, at a jillion dollars each. A door ding could total it! (Ok, I’m exaggerating a bit, but not by much)

If someone gave me one I’d take it, and immediately trade it in on a nice F-250.