Wall-E: Why did the humans look that way?

Not only that, but each successive captain spends less and less** time** as captain (i.e. alive)…

No, they don’t. In fact, the captains consistently have longer tours of duty than the current maximum human lifespan. From the photos:

Captain Reardon 2105-2248 (143 years)
Captain Fee 2248-2379 (131 years)
Captain Thompson 2380-2520 (140 years)
Captain Brace 2521-2645 (125 years)
Captain O’Brien 2646-2774 (128 years)
Captain B. McCrea 2775-

Getting back to the OP, I think the importance information in the scene isn’t that the gravity is going to be low, but that the Axiom was equipped with extensive exercise equipment that was never used. This is an important point in the movie’s message about consumerism: it wasn’t the Evil Corporation that made humans into fat slugs. They did that to themselves. They could have spent the centuries in exile working out and keeping active, but they didn’t want to - they wanted to sit and watch vid screens and drink pizza out of a cup.

(SPOILER) “It’s made out of people!!!”

“How does it taste?”
“It varies from person to person.”

:smiley:

“Kind of like chicken.”

Huh - well eff me then, sorry - guess it’s been too long since I’ve seen it.

Still less disgusting than Slurm.

Breeding and birthing babies becomes a mystery…

Well at least they cut out the scene of the passengers “renewing” at the fiery ritual of Carousel…

*Marie: You live here? Oh, it’s nice. Did you decorate it?

Navin R. Johnson: Yeah, I got all this stuff from the old Cup 'o Pizza place before they tore it down.

Marie: Good pizza.

Navin R. Johnson: Oh, this is the best pizza in a cup ever. This guy is unbelievable. He ran the old Cup 'o Pizza guy out of business. People come from all over to eat this. *