Warner Bros. cartoon questions

But it wouldn’t be as good a quality as the DVD. The difference between the old television prints and the DVD prints is night and day. The third volume actually shows how the restoration works- they actually use an original Technicolor print of the film (three strips- red, green, and blue), then they scan that into a computer. Then they are able to remove any imperfections that may be on the print (dust specks, etc.) using a special software program. Very interesting.

I remember seeing Chuck Jones on Later with Bob Costas. Costas was usually a very good interviewer on that show, and could draw a lot out of a person; but this one wasn’t very good. I have endless respect for Chuck Jones; I’ve read one of his books and even have a framed pencil sketch of the Grinch, but I think almost all of his talent went into making the cartoons, and not so much into talking about them.

Although the directors have all died, Michael Barrier did record interviews with them which he plays excerpts of during his commentaries. It’s not the same thing as actually have them doing the commentaries, of course, but it’s as close as we’re going to get.

Tweety’s a boy, so the “his” is correct.

Come on, they’re horribly disappointing. My favorite of its most trivial flaws is the merchandise-style, out-of-character mugging the characters are drawn up to do in the menus. It’s completely out place for a DVD collectors set (look at Disney’s Treasures for an example of how a animation fan’s collectors set should be done. All character art is perfectly in character, even angry Donald’s). What I like about it is that such mugging is lambasted on the very disc in the commentary of the aniversary short bonus (I don’t remember the name of the short, it’s the one with the behind-the-scenes bloopers - Blooper Bunny, maybe?).

I think a much more relavant catagorizing of the shorts would be by director, since each one had an instantly recognizable style; and then in chronological order (or maybe not. There’s alot of fat to cut in the WB library that a “best of mix” might be preferable than chronological). Also, they could have offered at last official re-releases of the long censored, racially and culturally insensitive shorts, like Disney was bold enough to do, instead of only the same shorts we’ve all been able to see over and over again for the past fifty years on TV.